Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Who's using what in Campbell CA (only separate modem & router for Blast 150/250)

Regular Visitor

Who's using what in Campbell CA (only separate modem & router for Blast 150/250)

I currently rent the Cisco DPC3941T Rev 1 (combo modem/router).

Not happy having a combo but was easiest at the time to get up and running.

I've gone back and forth with less than great results over the years relying on on-line recommendations/reviews/etc.

Now after (way too long) getting reliably poor download consistency I really need to improve things.

I know there are volumes of research by users and suppliers saying "...this is best and avoid that..."!

I've spent too many hours trying to decide (guess?) and need a new approach...peer to peer maybe?

I also know I need to take a good look at all my settings and cables...some cords are getting a little beat up and of questionable heritage. I don't plan to go faster than 250 Blast (I hope) and it's just for 2 people so dual-band should be adequate for us.

PS...Speed checks are always disappointing because they say I'm getting what I pay for...even as the Speed Check website(s) stumble and freeze on my very current computers with low overhead and clean caches.

I'd really like to see some modem and router examples from people in my local area that work successfully on a day to day basis.

In order of value to me...reliable, consistent, performance and then $$$.

Interestingly...as I write this, the Comcast gateway is flipping between 'on-line' and 'no connected users'. I'm looking at live interactive content flowing to another machine next to me...hardly a 'no users connected' situation.

Plus I've never seen this before...a clue perhaps???