Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Which Gateway Device?

Frequent Visitor

Which Gateway Device?

I recently upgraded my internet service to include phone. I previously had an Arris SB8141 modem and a NetGear AC1750 dual band gigabit router. I was always being told by Comcast that the SB8141 3.0 docsis was at its END OF LIFE and I should upgrade the modem to a 3.1 docsis modem.  I do realize that this modem can't be used for phone. Currently I have the TG1682G (XB3) Gateway. Comcast told be at the time of installation, that it was a 3.1 docsis. No it isnt. They said I need an (XB6). Can anyone recommend a good modem that includes phone to use with my Netgear AC1750. I have been seeing that 3.0 docsis equipment is ok to use. My plan is for 75Mbps Blast which Comcast has upgraded to 100 Mbps at no extra charge. I dont want to rent the current equipment anymore, and I want to use my router instead of it just sitting there gathering dust.

Thanks, Woodland1354

Expert
Frequent Visitor

Re: Which Gateway Device?

Ok...I checked out that modem and found some others that might work....TM822R by Arris and the CM500V by Netgear.

I have 24 download and 8 upload. Some of these have 8 upload and 4 download. Will that make any difference?

Also the TM822R is an eMTA.  Can I use this one as well?

Expert

The TM822R is essentially the same thing as the one that I posted. The CM500 doesn't support phone service.

Problem Solver

CM500 is just plain modem while CM500V has voice as well.
Expert

jweaver0312 wrote:
CM500 is just plain modem while CM500V has voice as well.

OP.