Community Forum

When will we get faster upload speeds?

Frequent Visitor

When will we get faster upload speeds?

Hello,

I'm on the new Extreme Internet Pro plan that offers 400Mbps Down and 10Mbps Up. When will we see an increase in upload speeds? It would be nice to have at least 25Mbps Up as most of the time the 10Mbps doesn't allow me to do what I need to do all the time. Is there anyway to get a faster upload without going to the Gigabit plan?

Regards,

Gary

Silver Problem Solver

Re: When will we get faster upload speeds?

It does seem a bit strange that this new Extreme Pro 400 only has 10Mbps upload speed. When Extreme 150 is 20Mbps upload and Extreme 250 or 300 offers 25Mbps upload..!

Frequent Visitor

The teirs are weird. The Extreme plans seem to only exist on the West and Central areas of the US. I don't even have those plan options on the East coast. 

If there is an 'additional' plan that would be able to boost my upload I'd buy it in a heart beat. I just do a lot of youtube uploading and streaming online games and the 10Mbps sometimes will cause me to lag in game. Having that faster speed would work wonders.

Silver Problem Solver

Maybe they should have named it Blast Pro Plus...! Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

Maybe they should have named it Blast Pro Plus...! Smiley Happy

Lol. Blast! used to be the best package I could get with 200 Down and 10 Up. Now I upgraded to Extreme Internet Pro which is new to my area offering 400 Down and 10 Up for $10 more. Double the speed...I'm down to upgrade. I just need a better upload!! At least give me 25 or 35!!

Silver Problem Solver

Yeah, with the advent of Docsis 3.1 we should start to see faster upload speeds included with the tiers, but that may take some time..No idea how long...

Are you sure there are no other Extreme tiers in the N/East with faster upload?

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

Yeah, with the advent of Docsis 3.1 we should start to see faster upload speeds included with the tiers, but that may take some time..No idea how long...

The only teirs the East Coast has are the following...

Performance (25Mbps Down / 5Mbps Up)

Performance Pro (100Mbps Down / 5Mbps Up)

Blast! (200Mbps Down / 10Mbps Up)

Extreme Internet Pro (400Mbps Down / 10Mbps Up) *NEW*

These are the east coast plans/teirs. I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem already and just recently upgraded to the Extreme Internet Pro. Even though I'm not getting anymore than 300Mbps it's still faster than 200Mbps so I don't really care to complain.

I just don't see why Comcast/Xfinity cannot give you more upload. The capability was always there even with a DOCSIS3.0. There old plans had higher uploads...

They should at least give you an option/addon package to give you more of an upload speed that would be amazing.

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

Hey guys I have had a  hassle with faster speed request read the quick story:

I  think they ruined my Surfboard docsis3 modem

Comcast Story:

June 22, 2017 3P.M., Chatted with Comcast rep to see when Comcast would increase internet speed in my area. His name was Divakar he told me good news I can now get 400Mbps instead of my present 150/200 up and 25 down for just $12.00 a month. I said great let’s move ahead.

He switched me to the billing department so they the change to my account and while doing that the agent noticed I had a bundled package that supported my current 150/25 and there was a problem...I have been paying an addiontal $25.00 a month for faster speed and I should not be paying for that since my bundle includes that already. I said I have been paying that for a long time and due to her access she could only credit me for 2 months.

I agreed and moved forward; Keep in mind I had 150/20 M using a Surfboard Docsis3 modem Comcast approved. They went ahead a sent modem files or whatever they do. At that point my speed went to 30/6.

I have spent well over 9 hours in the past 2.5 days to get back to the speed I had before the changed my modem.

Tech. support blamed Billing and Billing said Tech. support needs to fix it. I have been between at least 20 Comcast reps and they all have a different reason why I have a problem now after Comcast sent files to my Surfboard modem which is now most likely toast.

Not to mention a few reps insisted a tech needs to do a service call which I must pay for to fix an issue after a 150/25 modem that worked and after upgrade it is one third the speed.

Also I had many promises of call backs and how concerned the rep is to fix my issue......I got one call back, the rest blew me off. I want my modem to work like it did before Comcast/Xfinity ruined it.

Any ideas?

Expert

Paraniod wrote:

I’m in NJ and I the only extreme tier I can get is 400/10 with Extreme Pro and Blast! 200/10 being the two fastest DOCSIS tiers with D3.1 and Gigabit on the way. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Luckily it’s a big NE project to gigabit and D3.1 roled out as GIgabit Pro with Fiber just got slashed in half the cost.  

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Silver Problem Solver

Gary9110 wrote

These are the east coast plans/teirs. I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem already and just recently upgraded to the Extreme Internet Pro. Even though I'm not getting anymore than 300Mbps it's still faster than 200Mbps so I don't really care to complain.

I just don't see why Comcast/Xfinity cannot give you more upload. The capability was always there even with a DOCSIS3.0. There old plans had higher uploads...

They should at least give you an option/addon package to give you more of an upload speed that would be amazing.

What modem are you using? Oddly someone reports that swapping his Arris TG1682G for a retail Netgear CM1000 resulted in him getting 29Mbps upload. That would be the normal Extreme upload of 25Mbps with a bit of overprovision.

Not sure what the problem is, but sure looks like the upload speed is meant to be 25Mbps with this new tier.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31485241-

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

Gary9110 wrote

What modem are you using? Oddly someone reports that swapping his Arris TG1682G for a retail Netgear CM1000 resulted in him getting 29Mbps upload. That would be the normal Extreme upload of 25Mbps with a bit of overprovision.

Not sure what the problem is, but sure looks like the upload speed is meant to be 25Mbps with this new tier.

I read the post yet I was told by comcast the teir I'm in is only provisioned for 400Mbps Down and 10Mbps Up. 

I do have the Arris SB8200 DOCSIS3.1 modem. My area is not yet DOCSIS3.1. 

The most I've been able to reach speed wise was 370Mbps / 12Mbps Up. (I believe this was a lucky day. I average about 300Mbps.

If I could get a 25Upload I would be more than willing to pay a little extra for an additional addon for it. I just need something more than 10.

This link confirms what I said about the new plan... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31481336-Speed-Report-Extreme-Pro-Internet-400-Mbps-Here Yet I do believe the upload speed increase is coming reading over different posts on DSLreports it seems once DOCSIS3.1 is deployed they increase upload speeds to over 35Mbps? Said it should be done later this year which corresponds to what one of the comcast employees told me about speed upgrades later this year that typically occur around October. And seeing as I'm not actually getting 400Mbps I may place a call on that to get it resolved.
Expert

Gary9110 wrote:

Paraniod wrote:

Gary9110 wrote

I read the post yet I was told by comcast the teir I'm in is only provisioned for 400Mbps Down and 10Mbps Up. 

I do have the Arris SB8200 DOCSIS3.1 modem. My area is not yet DOCSIS3.1. 

The most I've been able to reach speed wise was 370Mbps / 12Mbps Up. (I believe this was a lucky day. I average about 300Mbps.

If I could get a 25Upload I would be more than willing to pay a little extra for an additional addon for it. I just need something more than 10.

This link confirms what I said about the new plan... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31481336-Speed-Report-Extreme-Pro-Internet-400-Mbps-Here Yet I do believe the upload speed increase is coming reading over different posts on DSLreports it seems once DOCSIS3.1 is deployed they increase upload speeds to over 35Mbps? Said it should be done later this year which corresponds to what one of the comcast employees told me about speed upgrades later this year that typically occur around October. And seeing as I'm not actually getting 400Mbps I may place a call on that to get it resolved.

I not sure how they are really going to use D3.1 when its out over the whole footprint of the network but since CableLabs does say support for 10Gbps/1Gbps in D3.1 at DOCSIS® 3.1 - CableLabs, they will likely have the ability to match upload to download for most plans with the Gigabit Internet tier as the exception to that until Full Duplex D3.1. I at least know when Full Duplex D3.1 comes along is when speed matching will hopefully really come, however it could be done now but it can't be done on all tiers (just cant really be done to Gigabit Internet, in reality probably wouldn't reach a gig upload, even through there was an older link through CableLabs that I can't find that had a chart that said D3.1 could fall between 1-2Gbps upload. Found it as I was typing this. It's this. Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 - CableLabs

Silver Problem Solver

Gary9110 wrote:

And seeing as I'm not actually getting 400Mbps I may place a call on that to get it resolved.

Think I'd certainly call in. Could simply be a mistake with the provisioning, config/boot file (since it's a new tier). I'd ask them to "roll and reprovision" the modem again. See what happens...

Expert

Gary9110 wrote:

This link confirms what I said about the new plan... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31481336-Speed-Report-Extreme-Pro-Internet-400-Mbps-Here Yet I do believe the upload speed increase is coming reading over different posts on DSLreports it seems once DOCSIS3.1 is deployed they increase upload speeds to over 35Mbps? Said it should be done later this year which corresponds to what one of the comcast employees told me about speed upgrades later this year that typically occur around October. .

FWIW, they may go with node + o and mid - split;

http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/comcast-eyes-upstream-expansion-it-pulls-fiber-deeper/...

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

So I spoke with Comcast for a bit tonight and asked for the roll and reprovision and still no improvements made. In speed. The max I was able to achieve was 350Mbps Down and 12Mbps Up. I'm going to have to try a few things to test out my side before continuing with comcast assisting. I use all my own equipment. Hopefully will see improvements soon when I have the time to sit and look at it.

Expert

I was actually going to suggest since you get 350 download and 12 up that it is not a provisioning issue but likely a signal issue.

Silver Problem Solver

Could well be a signal issue, but first thing to try would be a direct ethernet connection from the modem to a computer.

As to the upload speed that's another thing altogether. Odd, that out of the few that have reported to have signed up for Extreme 400, one customer has 29Mbps upload the rest have twelve.

Expert

One of the only things I can guess for the reason why only one customer can get it is probably because that area that the one customer is in probably does have an upload of 25 or a mistake was made when Comcast made the provisioning file for it that they probably fixed.

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

Could well be a signal issue, but first thing to try would be a direct ethernet connection from the modem to a computer.

As to the upload speed that's another thing altogether. Odd, that out of the few that have reported to have signed up for Extreme 400, one customer has 29Mbps upload the rest have twelve.

I will try directly connecting to my modem and seeing if that doesn't make a difference. I do use my own equipment and have wired everything myself. 

At least I will be able to tell if it's my fault or not. I will try to get a signals screenshot from the modem as well if I can. 

Frequent Visitor

Finally gotten around to test some things. It does seem like my router is limiting my connection. Not sure why but when it goes through the router my connection isn't capped but only gets up to 350Mbps as to where my modem itself hits 480Mbps.

I have a Linksys WRT1900AC v1. Turned the QoS settings off and set the Kb to the highest incase that could be limiting it and still nothing. Not sure why I'm not getting the correct speeds.

Official Employee

Hi Gary9110, I can help you with your speed issue. I can see that you have a good signal going to your home at the moment. Have you tried swapping out your modem to improve your speeds? Please click on this link to review some basic troubleshooting steps to resolve your speed problem. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I think it's an absolute shame the way cable companies are treating us.  First, we have to buy access to stations that we don't watch and then we are only offered horrible choices in speed.  Last year I was living in an apartment complex here in Lynchburg, VA. Our TV and internet were offered by LUMOS.  It was a FIBER connection and I had 100mb down and 50mb UP!  My son in law used to work for COMCAST up in NJ and he told me that the reason the speeds UP are so slow is that COMCAST and other cable companies figure we don't need fast upload speeds. To that I say, what about all the pictures and home movies I need to upload to my cloud account.  What about sending pictures to people from my drone flights. What about.......   Hey, COMCAST, you do realize this is the DIGITAL AGE right?

New Poster

Extreme this, Extreme that...I had LUMOS last year here in Lynchburg, VA.  100 dn, 50 up.  You;d think COMCAST would wake and realize this is the digital age!

New Poster

Depending on how your testing your internet speed...I had a Intel wireless access 3165 WiFi card in my rig which Max @ 433 Mbps...so I decided to upgrade to the newer card which is the 8265(the 9000's series not released yet to consumers) now I hit up to 866 Mbps(even though my internet package is the 400 mbps)... However the upload speed is roughly from 10 to 15mbps(when I tested with ookla and various software)

The coaxial cable is more than capable to used far more higher speeds for down and up... however Xfinity infrastructure "cant" handle the load yet...
New Poster

Check out your rigs WiFi card...if it's a new laptop/desktop...it's probably using an old Intel Ac wireless card that maxed out @ 350 Mbps
I upgraded mine from the 3165 to 8265 and I have seen great performance boost in WiFi. My other laptop was using another brand wifi card that capped at 300mbps.
Open your rig if you can and note the WiFi card and Google it...you might find and upgraded version of it and the chips are really cheap.