Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

What use are parental controls?

New Poster

What use are parental controls?

I set up parental controls and it was pointless as the kids could simply reconnect to an xfinity hotspot that has an open wireless connection.

After 3 calls and 2 chat sessions I quickly realized I was getting different answers from different techs. The first person I talked with was obviously using a script as when I connected to my comcast provided modem via the local loopback with an ethernet connection I was a few steps ahead of the poor lady who was clueless as to what I needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for locking down a wireless laptop, win 10 home version, to use only my personal wireless modem connection? Otherwise all that work comcast just did setting up the web interface for parental controls is 100% useless. All the kids have to do is connect to the open wireless xfi hotspot.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: What use are parental controls?

You can remove the laptop from the devices that can connect to hotspots in your account settings.

Log into your "My Account" then choose "Settings" from the sub menu. On the settings page, click on "internet" left side of the screen. Then scroll down the page to the heading "Xfinity WIFI Hotspot Connected Devices" click on "Manage Devices" find the laptop and click on "remove".

Here's a direct link, you'll have to log in:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot-devices

Obviously, if any of the kids know your account password, you would have to change it.

Also, keep in mind that Comcast used to allow an hour or two free access a month, without having to log in or pay. (not sure if they still do). Good luck!.

New Poster

Thanks! That worked.

They don't have my password and it is odd that it was able to connect as I don't recall ever trying to connect to an Xfi hotspot and asking for my credentials.

Silver Problem Solver

Good Job!

Can't explain why it connected without the creds. You only have to log in once and it will be remembered until you remove the device.