Community Forum

What is the best modem to replace a Arris TG862G/CT?

Contributor

What is the best modem to replace a Arris TG862G/CT?

I want to replace the rented XFinity modem and remove the monthly fee.  I have a Arris TG862G/CT modem currently with cable TV, Extreme Internet, speed unknown, and telephone.  Is there a better modem to replace it with that works well?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: What is the best modem to replace a Arris TG862G/CT?

Unfortunately the only choice for retail right now for use with Voice service is the Arris TG862G. At almost $200 on Amazon, I wouldn't buy it, maybe they will add more devices in the future....

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Diamond Problem Solver

If you also do have their phone service, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

Contributor

I've had my provider for several years now.  They charge $10 per month rental for modems.  At $200 that's a little over 1-1/2 years to pay for it.  Seems that is best?

Contributor

Also, there are modems with TG862G that have different following letters and not the CT.  Like DBX or similar.  Do those work as long as the first numbers are TG862G?

Contributor

They say they allow it.  

Silver Problem Solver

sthnreb wrote:

Also, there are modems with TG862G that have different following letters and not the CT.  Like DBX or similar.  Do those work as long as the first numbers are TG862G?

The CT would stand for Comcast, I think they have different versions for different providers. Always buy new, not used or refurbs, there would be a chance that it hasn't been removed from a previous user's account and they wouldn't activate it.

You should be able to find it in approved stores like Best Buy, Staples, Radio Shack there are a few more, but I forget. Or here on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Residential-Gateway-GigaPort-TG862G-CT/dp/B00NR1EHP8

Good Luck!

Diamond Problem Solver

Gateway devices = YUCK. Don't be surprised if you get poor performance. That unit has a long history... If you do get it, it would be best if you put it in to FULL bridge mode so that it acts only as a plain cable modem. Then use a high quality router with it. The phone service will still function.

New Poster

I am a Comcast user of voice, cable and internet using a Technicolor TC8305C rented from Comcast.  It appears because of voice it cannot be replaced.  

I not only would like to buy instead of rent the modem, but also want to use a VPN for my Apple TV.  If I connect the TC8305C to an ASUS Router T-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router I think I can install the VPN and then use the ASUS for wifi to the Apple TV.  Likely I would continue to connect laptops, etc to the TC8305C.

Any thoughts?

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Diamond Problem Solver

Two year old dead thread now being closed.