Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

What download speeds is Xfinity Performance Plus really delivering?

New Poster

What download speeds is Xfinity Performance Plus really delivering?

I live in Oregon. Canceled my Comcast Tv last year and kept Internet only. Supposed to be getting "up to" 100mbps from Performance PRO plan I am paying for. Never get more than 40 something on occasion. Sometimes speed tests report as low as 8mbps. Comcast keep sending me offer to bundle X1 Basic Tv and Performance PLUS for roughly same total monthly billing as just Internet PRO. PLUS plan says "up to" 55mbps. Since I have never got more than 40 on PRO, sounds like a good deal: add some cable Tv and no change in REAL broadband speeds...or will PLUS stream like a snail while PRO moves like a tortoise (even tho they are both supposed to be road runners!) ?  Any anecdotal information on what Xfinity Performance PLUS internet service really delivers would be appreciated to help me decide if I should take bite the bait and switch plans...

Contributor

Re: What download speeds is Xfinity Performance Plus really delivering?

Advertized speed is only garenteed hardwired into the gateway. Depends on what type of gateway you have, the newer ones are dual band. Meaning it broadcast 2 seperate networks, one 2.4 GHz and one 5Ghz. The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless networks are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance. 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. every Gatewy is different but on average 2.4Ghz you will only see around 40 Mbps and less the further you get away. the 5GHz you should get the speed your paying for wireless if your in the same room as the gateway. The further you go away the speeds will drop dramatically and latancy will increase. Im bringin up the dual band because you state sometimes you get 40 MBps and sometimes only 8MBps not sure if the speed test are being tested in the same location but some people will see issues if the 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz are set to the same name.

Expert

grandpawgrizzly wrote:
 Any anecdotal information on what Xfinity Performance PLUS internet service really delivers would be appreciated to help me decide if I should take bite the bait and switch plans...

Here is a basic idea of the speed tier speeds;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

New Poster

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm strictly hard-wired internet; gave up on in-home wireless a long time ago; kept losing it even just across living room. If, by "gateway" you mean the modem, I have a newer one that I made sure was on Comcast's approved list for maximum internet delivery.

I bit the bait and switched to Performance Plus with X1 Tv. The Tv part is total c___p video quality reception like we used to live with years ago with rabbit ears antennae. But that's another story. The Internet speeds (promise of up to 55 mbps) are running in the 20s; all from same nearest server. If I do the Comcast speed test, it reports numbers like 686 mbps; a few weeks ago 800s; what a joke! If that were true, I would not have buffering problems that I am now having when streaming a movie from HBO GO that came with X1 Tv package.

Interestingly, last night I switched from Opera browser to MS I.E. browser and the buffering stalls stopped happening...amazing how today's computer problems can branch out into different directions; must be difficult to do a logic flow chart on it, which is why support call centers diagnostic tools are so annoyingly ineffective.

Anyway, going to try and live with my new package for 12 months (had to sign contract).

New Poster

I dont know exactly what provisioned speed is supposed to mean but I suspect its just another bunch of numbers someone at Comcast pulled out of thin air to impress (or delude) customers. Looks like when I was on Pro 100 I was only getting what the list shows for the much lower-rated Performance plan. The new package plan that I switched over to, called Performance Plus, is delivering the same speeds (20-30 mbps) as the Pro package that I dropped. There are forum postings all over the internet from Comcast customers who are not getting anywhere near what that tier table says. And certainly not the 686 mbps that the Comcast' Portland, Oregon ISP server is reporting when I go to their web site and click on their speed test.

Reality in Oregon is Comcast seems unable to deliver broadband internet in higher ranges; maybe its because their transmission cables are antiques.

Regular Contributor

This is a bit odd that you're hard wired into the modem and getting sub par speeds.  Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable with a Cat 5e or Cat 6?  Have you tried a hard reset on the modem?  It might be worthwhile to take it into the office and pick up a replacement if the prior 2 suggestions don't make a difference.  

If you were on wifi it would be a different story.  As to the speed tests I use the speedtest.net APP instead of the browser based testing and manually select some other servers to test against since the default is usually CC... .if you're not leaving the CC network then it's not really a speed test right?

New Poster

My performance plus gives me 25 to 30 Mbps download speeds and 5 to 6 Mbps upload speeds. I just switched to an Orbi router from a Cisco e3000 dual band router. Speeds are very similar.

Using Wi-Fi and the speed test app my download and upload speeds are nearly the same as using a hardwired browser based speedtest.net.

Tests on servers here in Spokane Washington were nearly the same as tests on non Comcast servers in Boston Massachusetts.
Expert

@jjnryan wrote:
My performance plus gives me 25 to 30 Mbps download speeds and 5 to 6 Mbps upload speeds. I just switched to an Orbi router from a Cisco e3000 dual band router. Speeds are very similar.

Using Wi-Fi and the speed test app my download and upload speeds are nearly the same as using a hardwired browser based speedtest.net.

Tests on servers here in Spokane Washington were nearly the same as tests on non Comcast servers in Boston Massachusetts.

Wifi speed tests do not represent what your speed tier is; you have to use an ethernet connection to the modem/gateway.

And you can use this web site to see what your speed tier is:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

Expert

wrote:

If you are getting 25-30 hardwired directly to the modem it sounds like a provisioning issue. Seems that you are only getting the Performance speed tier rather than Performance Plus. Try calling 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.
New Poster

I have Blast.  The 100 mps comes in closer to 92 to 96.  I use a rented modem from Comcast.  The wi-fi is generally good, too.

Unless the Comcast cables to your house and then to your modem are hosed, I would suspect your modem.   I hate paying rent, but I have upgraded twice in 4 years.  The rental fee has gone from 8 to 11 a month, so still cheaper than buying a new one every 2 years.  BTW, no router required and the wi-fi has a good reach and speed in the 40s, usually.  My last modem had a good ethernet connrction, but the wi-fi degraded horribly.  I worked with them on-line and whatever upgrade they did blew out an ethernet port. I just took it to the office and exchanged it.  They had mailed a new one a month before,saying I was due for an upgrade when I called to question low ethernet speeds.  Must have been a lemon, but the advantage of renting is insta-fix!