Community Forum

What a joke! Need Second Port on SB2000 enabling - Second IP address required

New Poster

What a joke! Need Second Port on SB2000 enabling - Second IP address required

All,

I have spent what must be 3 hours of my life on the phone with so called "Experts" trying to get my second WAN port on my SB82000 enabled.  Through this journey I have been cut off of the call I was on multiple times.  One agent reset my router modem several times just out of spite.  

Each agent I call I get a completely different answer.  Its been a joke, I have never had an experince with any company like this.  In fact, I questioned if I shyould post something here onthese forums as I am actually scared of retribution by someone If I speak out.

I moved ftom NJ to TN and used to have a verizon FIOS service.  You guys are litterally light years behind them in support and espcially custoimer service, a result of which I am sure of your decision to offshore most of that part of your business.

So, again, Im on the phone now, for an hour. Nobody knows what to do, agents and "Experts" making up all kinds of stories why this cant be done.

Could someone, who actually values the job they are paid to do try and help me out with my issue?

This is only a fraction of the experince with support since DAY 1, of having this service installed.  The best one was an "Expert" telling me to drive 15 to an xfinity store so they could "Scan" my modem to my 1GB speed would work. I could go on, but I think I got my message across.

Many thanks!

Expert

Re: What a joke! Need Second Port on SB2000 enabling - Second IP address required

You would have to actually pay for what they call an "additional IP address" (if it's even available in your area, YMMV) to be able to use that second port.

Look at the rate sheet for your area and see if the "Additional IP" option is even available;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

Can you not use a router instead ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: What a joke! Need Second Port on SB2000 enabling - Second IP address required

I am using a router. But the wired speed i am getting is less than half a gig. Wireless is almost 800mb,  I wanted to enable the second port so i could run the router and my PC plugged into the cable modem to help trouble shoot the issue because I have exhausted all options.  Calling Xfinity just does not help, I might as well call my 80 year old mum.  She would be of more use.

Expert

There is a gigabit troubleshooting guide here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/td-p/3145413...

If you would like an additional residential IP as @EG suggested, we can ask an employee to help you with that. It's mostly not available anymore though.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

I am using a router. But the wired speed i am getting is less than half a gig. Wireless is almost 800mb,  I wanted to enable the second port so i could run the router and my PC plugged into the cable modem to help trouble shoot the issue because I have exhausted all options.  Calling Xfinity just does not help, I might as well call my 80 year old mum.  She would be of more use.

You can't use both ports on it right now, unless you purchase a second IP address, or until LAG is implemented.

As far as your wired speeds, try turning off any extra features such as deep packet inspection, QoS, or DDoS protection in your router. If this doesn't work, then the above mentioned Gigabit Speed Troubleshooting thread might be of help. 

What router do you have btw?