Community Forum

Weather shown on desk top

Frequent Visitor

Weather shown on desk top

The system thinks I'm in Philadelphia.  I'm in Chicago.  No matter how many times I change it it ALWAYS goes back to Philadelphia.  If Chicago was in Pennsylvania, ok, I get it, but it's in Illinois, no where near Pennsylvania.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Weather shown on desk top

@Elizabeth17 wrote:

The system thinks I'm in Philadelphia.  I'm in Chicago.  No matter how many times I change it it ALWAYS goes back to Philadelphia.  If Chicago was in Pennsylvania, ok, I get it, but it's in Illinois, no where near Pennsylvania.

What device are you using to see this?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Not sure.  I'm on my work computer using My Xfinity.

Silver Problem Solver

@Elizabeth17 wrote:

Not sure.  I'm on my work computer using My Xfinity.

Only thing I can think of is to check your Comcast Account:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/account

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

When on the My Xfinity web page, you can hover your mouse over the Weather 'Sun' icon and then click on the pencil icon to edit your location.  Mine defaults to my accounts' service location or my billing address, which are the same.

What browser are you using?  When I changed mine in Chrome, it was saved after closing/re-opening the browser.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Weather Location.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Mine is a cloud, guess Philadelphia is cloudy.  While I can look at Chicago weather when I go back to the home page it's still Philadelphia.

Valued Contributor

Could be it is not saving the location in the browser cache properly.  What if you change it, close your browser(all tabs) and re-open it instead of going directly to the HOME page?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

Does that app rely on IP address geolocation ? If so, you likely recently received a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment to your connection from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. Unfortunately this is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. The only thing that you can do is to report it. You can try this;

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!