Community Forum

WPS device can’t connect

New Poster

WPS device can’t connect

Hi,

A Comcast tech just recently installed a new gateway (the old gw was having problems with connecting to the xfinity home touchpad. Replacing the gateway solved that problem.

but a new problem has surfaced: I can no longer connect my wireless music streamer (an Exasound Play Point) to my WiFi network via WPS. This used to work flawlessly with the previous gateway. I have configured the gateway per the Exasound manual’s recommendations: SSID broadcast, MAC filtering is set to Allow-All, WPS is enabled (push-button, not PIN), and security is set to WPA2-PSK(AES).  The wireless device is unable to join the WiFi network.

i have also tried every combination and permutation I can think of to no avail. No matter what the music streamer is unable to join the network. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, laptops etc) that can join but none of those use WPS. 

Could this his be a problem with the gateway? At this point that is what I suspect.

any ideas for further troubleshooting?

john

Problem Solver

Re: WPS device can’t connect

@HarryGrimes wrote:

Hi,

A Comcast tech just recently installed a new gateway (the old gw was having problems with connecting to the xfinity home touchpad. Replacing the gateway solved that problem.

but a new problem has surfaced: I can no longer connect my wireless music streamer (an Exasound Play Point) to my WiFi network via WPS. This used to work flawlessly with the previous gateway. I have configured the gateway per the Exasound manual’s recommendations: SSID broadcast, MAC filtering is set to Allow-All, WPS is enabled (push-button, not PIN), and security is set to WPA2-PSK(AES).  The wireless device is unable to join the WiFi network.

i have also tried every combination and permutation I can think of to no avail. No matter what the music streamer is unable to join the network. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, laptops etc) that can join but none of those use WPS. 

Could this his be a problem with the gateway? At this point that is what I suspect.

any ideas for further troubleshooting?

john

Have you tried a firmware update check?

"The PlayPoint supports both wired Ethernet and 802.11ac wireless."

New Poster

Re: WPS device can’t connect

I did do a firmware check and the firmware is up to date.

I contacted the manufacturer and I was given a brief troubleshooting procedure to follow. The procedure's first step was to connect the streamer to the router's LAN port with an Ethernet cable and brought the streamer onto the network this way.

The streamer has a front panel UI and, just for the heck of it, I pressed the streamer's "Start/Reset" button for Wifi, and pressed the WPS button on the router, and the streamer joined the network.

Then I powered down the streamer, removed the Ethernet cable, and powered it back and did a "Start/Reset" on the streamer's from UI panel and pressed the WPS button on the router. Again it joined the Wifi network with no issues.

I can't say exactly what happened but it appears that once the streamer learned the Wifi's new SSID it no longer has any problem connecting. Problem solved.

Thanks for your help and thoughts. This was frustrating but it has a happy ending and the router was, all along, just fine.

Cheers