Community Forum

WAP Prewire

New Poster

WAP Prewire

I am having a new house built and i had two cat6 WAPs prewired in the house.  What is the best equipment to use with my Xfinity Internet?  I currently have xFi with the Xfinity provided modem/router.  How can i tie in my Xfinity service into these WAP prewires?  I have not been able to find a clear answer or direction in my search thus far.  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: WAP Prewire

Well, that would depend greatly on the make and model of those WAPs, how they are wired into your home, the configuration of your home ethernet wiring, and how you plan to use them (separate subnets? single SSID or multiple SSIDs? AP isolation enabled or not?  etc). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi!

I haven't purchased any equipment for the WAPs yet.  I only have the wiring done and terminated in the second floor closets.  I am looking for some direction on what type of system/equpment would best to install and work best with xfinity wifi.  The goal is to carry the wifi coverage throughout the house and eliminate dead spots.  i am open to suggestions on what should be installed and what type of network setup should be considered.

thanks for the resonse!

Expert

For that purpose then, you can use old routers that aren't being used anymore, or you can purchase WAP equipment specific to that purpose. (Such as  this,  or this,  depending on your budget and how good you want your equipment to be). 

In my case, I have an old Apple 6th Generation Airport Extreme that I have connected via Ethernet in Bridge mode (Wireless Access Point mode) to my main router, an ASUS RT-AC88U. The Airport serves as my Wireless Access Point in the main area of my house. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!