Community Forum

WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP services will not work.

New Poster

WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP services will not work.

I have an Asus RT-AC3200 that is connected to the xfinity Cisco DPC3939 with an Ethernet cable from the WAN socket on the Asus router to one of the Ethernet sockets on the DPC3939.  I receive a message on the Asus router that the "WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP services will not work."

Is there a solution to this?  Would it involve a reconfiguration of the AC3200 or a change with the DPC3939?

Expert

Re: WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP services will not work.

You can't get a WAN / public / external IP because you are cascading 2 routing devices. The only way that you can get a WAN / external IP on the Asus is to put the 3939 in to *bridge mode* so that it acts only as a straight cable modem/ layer 2 bridge device;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you for your reply.  

A couple of more questions.  I login to the DPC3939 and ENABLE Bridge mode.  Later, when I want to DISABLE bridge mode, am I able to connect wirelessly to 10.0.0.1 from my PC and bring up the DCP3939?  

Or would I have to disconnect my Asus router from Port 1 on the xfinity router and then access the xfinity router by plugging in a laptop or other PC to Port 1 of the xfinity router and then browse to 10.0.0.1 to DISABLE bridge mode.

Once I ENABLE Bridge mode, will the xfinity router no longer show as an available network when my PC scans for available WiFi networks?  

I assume the DPC3939 does not support a Hybrid Bridge mode.

Expert

iracerguy wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  

Quite welcome ! 

A couple of more questions.  I login to the DPC3939 and ENABLE Bridge mode.  Later, when I want to DISABLE bridge mode, am I able to connect wirelessly to 10.0.0.1 from my PC and bring up the DCP3939? Or would I have to disconnect my Asus router from Port 1 on the xfinity router and then access the xfinity router by plugging in a laptop or other PC to Port 1 of the xfinity router and then browse to 10.0.0.1 to DISABLE bridge mode.

You should still be able to access the 3939 wirelessly through your Asus but I'm not sure if 10.0.0.1 will work. You may have to use 192.168.100.1 

Once I ENABLE Bridge mode, will the xfinity router no longer show as an available network when my PC scans for available WiFi networks?  

Correct. Bridge mode turns off the WiFi radio / SSID broadcast.

I assume the DPC3939 does not support a Hybrid Bridge mode.

No. It's one or the other.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks, you have been a really big help.  I am most appreciative.  This forum improves my overall opinion of Comcast support!

Expert

Thank you ! And I don't even work for them.

New Poster

I know you don't...and that's probably why I was able to get accurate info regarding a simple networking question.  I have found over many years that most of the time knowledge that is shared for the sake of sharing is usually more accurate and timely than knowledge that is provided under the guise of corporate customer support.  

Thanks again.

New Poster

Here is the result...

I can access the xfinity router from the Asus router by browsing to 10.0.0.1.  The DCP3939 will show the login screen and after login, the "At A Glance" screen with the ENABLE/DISABLE Bridge Mode switch loads.  A very simple process for switching back and forth.

Expert

Good to know ! You taught me something ! Thank you !