Community Forum

Video: How to purchase your own modem and router for Comcast Xfinity

Expert

Video: How to purchase your own modem and router for Comcast Xfinity

Links referred to in the videos:

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Video: How to purchase your own modem and router for Comcast Xfinity

Great post!

I will stick with my Arris XB6 and Orbi for now.  Glad to see that the Netgear CBR40 has been added to my compatible equipment (would have to purchase a voce modem for Xfinity Voice).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

How can I activate my new modem?  Is there a way to do it on the xfinity website? So I don't have to call xfinty and sit on the phone for an hour. I already own my modem I'm just upgrading. I bought a arris sb 6190.

Expert

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-purchased-modem

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hello!  Tons of great info here!!! I watched both of the videos and took lots of notes. I do have a few questions.  I currently have the Arris TG1682G; my plan is the 150 Mbps download & 10 Mbps upload. I am getting that plus a little more. My current plan w/Xfinity is the triple play because it was the best priced option at the time.  I do not use the voice.  I know I want a modem/router combo still but am planning on buying my own.  I've done tons of research based on the videos and reviews, etc & have narrowed down my top 3-4. Is the voice necessary on the one I buy if I don't use it and will probably cancel when this contract is up? Our use - I'm a single mom, 2 kids - high school & college. 1 is a PS4 gamer, both are on social media often plus laptops doing homework; I'm on my cell phone alot, sometimes play games.  We watch TV but also have firestick and netflix. 4 TV's - living room (where router/modem is), then down the hallway from this is gamers bedroom, and other kids next. Mine is across the hall.  Gamer complains about lag time, other complains wifi signal is horrible in their room.  I may increase my plan to get better speeds but how do I optimize performance for us and our situation?  I've read about dual band and putting the gamer on 5 with others on 2.4; I've read network extenders are both good and bad.  I know just enough to be "dangerous" with terms, etc but don't know what to get exactly to make us all perform better with our electronic needs.  I thank you for your help!!