Community Forum

Very eratic inconsistent ping. Making gaming and streaming almost impossible

New Poster

Very eratic inconsistent ping. Making gaming and streaming almost impossible

For maybe 6 months now my ping will go through very inconsistent phases. Sometimes its fine, but OFTEN it will just start jumping around from 23, to 400, to 1k, to 300, to 800, etc etc. It makes streaming out and gaming almost impossible to do when it is acting up. Any help on how I can get this more consistent would be great. It happens quite often, this is not a once a week ordeal.  Thank you in advance. 

Expert

Re: Very eratic inconsistent ping. Making gaming and streaming almost impossible

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Very eratic inconsistent ping. Making gaming and streaming almost impossible

Wondering, is it best to run these tests and provide the info above when it's acting up? Or is it okay to do at any point and there is still probably traces of whatever is causing it to act out at certain times in these tests anyway, even if its a good connection at the time. (if that makes sense). 

(and also, thank you so much for the links and the help so far^^)

Expert

Actually it's both. The first is to establish a baseline. Then again for a comparison.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!