Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Very Dumb Question About My 2 Modems

New Poster

Very Dumb Question About My 2 Modems

Hi all, 

I am pretty dumb about networking devices, so I beg your patience. I have Triple Play service (TV/Internet/Voice). The incoming cable is split to serve three devices:

1) an X1 TV Box (as Comcast calls it, aka, my DVR)

2) my privately owned Motorola SB 6121 cable modem (which "matches" to my 100mbps service tier, and works fine; it feeds my own TP-Link wireless router

3) what Xfinity calls my Voice & Cable Modem (actually a leased, AR TM402-P telephony modem), which resides in the basement where a Comcast technician tied it into my ancient landline harness with a lot of "MacGyver" looking wiring. According to Xfinity, this modem is past "end of life."

I would like to stop paying rental on the third (telephony) modem and install my own. Questions:

1) For this Triple-Play setup, do I really need two modems? If not, what's the alternative? (Physically speaking, both current modems need to be where they are physically placed to do their jobs.)

2) If I only need one modem, what kind and where in this scenario could it reside? Note, I don't want to try to serve my three-level house wirelessly from the basement.

3) If I should stick with the current set-up, what should I use to replace the telephony modem? (Simple and cheap.)

4) If I should stick with the current three-device set-up, does it entail compromises in speed/performance?

I appreciate any help you might provide, particularly if you can answer the questions one at a time! Many thanks.

-- Gregger "Triple Play, Triple Devices" 59

Expert

Re: Very Dumb Question About My 2 Modems

@gregger59 wrote:

I would like to stop paying rental on the third (telephony) modem and install my own. Questions:

1) For this Triple-Play setup, do I really need two modems? If not, what's the alternative? (Physically speaking, both current modems need to be where they are physically placed to do their jobs.)

You can use a single device (See: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem...

2) If I only need one modem, what kind and where in this scenario could it reside? Note, I don't want to try to serve my three-level house wirelessly from the basement.

Your home's phone system can be energized from any phone outlet. So if there is a phone outlet near your current modem, you could power the phone system from that location with an all-in-one device.

3) If I should stick with the current set-up, what should I use to replace the telephony modem? (Simple and cheap.)

Probably the lease exspensive device you'll find to do the job is an Arris TM822G.

4) If I should stick with the current three-device set-up, does it entail compromises in speed/performance?

Most likely your tech installed seperate devices to overcome some issue(s). Ether wiring issues or providing good WiFi typically. There are other options such as installing a device in your basement for voice and internet and then running an ethernet cable upstairs to control a seperate router. You could also consider a mesh network similar to Xfinity's Xfi Pods.

Generaly cable nerds will tell you to buy seperate equipment so you can have full control over the devices. If you are the type that is never going to log into your router except to change the Wi-Fi passwords, than and all-in one device will probably serve you just fine. I'd look at something like the Netgear C7100V for an all-in-one device or a Netgear CM500V if you want a seperate modem and router. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
New Poster

Re: Very Dumb Question About My 2 Modems

@The_Janitor wrote:

@gregger59 

Your home's phone system can be energized from any phone outlet. So if there is a phone outlet near your current modem, you could power the phone system from that location with an all-in-one device.  Good thought; unfortunately the modem is not near a phone outlet.  

Most likely your tech installed seperate devices to overcome some issue(s). Ether wiring issues or providing good WiFi typically.
You're right; must have been lousy WiFi location in the basement plus long physical separation of the phone outlets vs. "all other devices" (cable modem, router, TV, DVR).

There are other options such as installing a device in your basement for voice and internet and then running an ethernet cable upstairs to control a seperate router. 
Now this is an inspired idea. I do have a nice spot that is close to BOTH a phone outlet AND an ethernet jack leading to "all other devices," but the issue there is that the cable modem and X1 DVR want to be fed only by coax...and not by Ethernet, correct? 

Thanks,

-- G.