Community Forum

VPN connection using PPTP not working with new TG3482G gateway

Contributor

VPN connection using PPTP not working with new TG3482G gateway

I just got 400Mbs internet service set up with a TG3482G gateway. I telecommute, and my employer uses a VPN setup with PPTP protocol. My connection, using Microsoft VPN, was working great on my prior internet connection, but fails to connect with the new gateway. Other connections using L2TP/IPsec with a pre-shared key are still working, oinly the PPTP connection seems affected. 

What needs to be set on the gateway to fix my PPTP VPN connections? I really don't want to have to go back to DSL, but I have to be able to connect to work. HELP!!

Expert

Re: VPN connection using PPTP not working with new TG3482G gateway

You may need to forward TCP port 1723 in your gateway device;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: VPN connection using PPTP not working with new TG3482G gateway

I've spent 4 hours today with Comcast support, two different reps. It appears that the TG3482G "XB6 Gateway" is not capable of passing GRE protocol packets, so PPTP VPN connections will not work with this device. I must now either swap for an XB3 modem or buy my own. Any recommendations for a replacement besides the XB3?

I was going to drive over and pick up an XB3, but Comcast support told me that they cannot contact the store by phone or email, all they could tell me is that there were XB3 modems in stock at 9am this morning. I was amazed that it is impossible to actually contact somebody in the store.