Community Forum

Using my own Router with Wireless Gateway

New Poster

Using my own Router with Wireless Gateway

First - apologies if this is addressed elswhere but searching has only been confusing for me so I hope I can get a specific answer.

I have recieved the modem that Comcast is giving out for free. I already have a router (Netgear N300) that my wireless laptop and printer are hooked to. There is nothing in the new modem's instructions about attaching a seperate router and activating through it. I see no off switch for the wifi part of the new modem. I did pull out of my forum search somthing about Bridging but am confused about what this is and how it's done.

I thought that all I would have to do was attach the comcast cable to the new modem and the ethernet cable from my router to the new modem (like it is with the old modem). But all the instructions about activation and forum messages about Bridging have me totally confused now.Woman Frustrated

Help - Please.....

Cap'n Kero

Expert

Re: Using my own Router with Wireless Gateway

Call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to put it in to FULL bridge mode. Now it will act as a plain vanilla cable modem only. Connect your existing router to ethernet port number 1 on the back. That's it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Hi there,

I can also enable bridge mode for you if you would like.

Just send me a private message or post your request here, and I will enable bridge mode for you.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Expert

Not that busy Jesse ? Looking for things to do today ?  ;-)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Bronze Problem Solver

I'm one of those guys who will avoid using the phone whenever I can. I like to offer an alternative just in case others feel the same way. lol

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hi Jesse,

I need to have my TC8305C switched to bridge mode so that I can use my own router. Can you help me with this?

Thanks!

New Poster

Thank you EG and ComcastJesse -

Looks like I will follow EG's suggestion Jesse as there is no way I can contact you once I've installed the new modem. Just so I'm on the same page....

I hook the new modem to the Comcast cable. I then call the 800 number you gave me EG and ask them to activate the thing and also set it on Full Bridge mode. Once this is done I hook up my NetGear and everything works fine....right? I don't have to go in and change ssids and addresses?

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Is it possibe to put my router into full bridge mode and turn off wifi as well? (or how to post the same private message? - I can't find the button for it Smiley Happy )

ps. My current router uses only 3 fixed wifi channels and all of them oveloaded by the same routers of my neighbors, so I took other more flexible dual-band wifi router and I'm happy with it.

Thank you.

Bronze Problem Solver

Hi there krbunker,

I have processed your request. Your wireless functionality on your gateway should be disabled.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Captain: Understandable

Corund: Bridge mode has been enabled on your gateway as well.

I think it might be time to create a sticked thread for bridge mode requests now too. ; )

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Expert

Captain_Kero wrote:

Thank you EG and ComcastJesse -

Looks like I will follow EG's suggestion Jesse as there is no way I can contact you once I've installed the new modem. Just so I'm on the same page....

I hook the new modem to the Comcast cable. I then call the 800 number you gave me EG and ask them to activate the thing and also set it on Full Bridge mode. Once this is done I hook up my NetGear and everything works fine....right?

Yes. That will do it.

I don't have to go in and change ssids and addresses?

Not if you don't want to.

New Poster

Thank you all...

The next time I post here will be through the new modem..."fingers crossed". Will let you know how easy/hard it was to get back online. lol

Regular Visitor

Thanks a lot!

New Poster

TA DA.....

Done and done. /me jumping up and down and yelling YIPEE

Thanks again to EG and Jesse. All is now well and working with only a couple of hiccups that were fixed on the Comcast end. We'll see if this new modem actually makes my Big Fish Games downloads any faster.....lol

you all have a nice day now, ya hear.....Smiley Wink

Bronze Problem Solver

I'm glad it's working for you.

And you have a great day as well.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I just got mine in the mail today and have not connected it yet, but I would also like it to be put in FULL Bridge Mode without having to bother with a long phone call to support. How do I go about doing this?

Bronze Problem Solver

You send me a private message when you are ready, and I wil enable bridge mode for you.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I am about to install my TC8305C gateway. Like others I'd prefer to use my existing wireless modem/configuration. Can I re-configure the TC8305C gateway for bridging (and disable its wifi)? Or does this have to be done by a Comcast employee? I'd prefer to learn how to do this myself rather than rely on Comcast support every time I need to change something. Thanks.

Expert

At this time, that model has to be done by an employee.

Frequent Visitor

I'm more than a little astounded by the process used to generate this offer/order to replace my "outdated modem with a Wireless Gateway at no cost," and I would just like to get confirmation that: first, the new Gateway is really free and I don't have to pay a monthly lease on it; and second, that it can be configured with the assistance of a Comcast Rep to act solely as a new stand-alone modem so that I can continue to connect my Mac (with no wireless, so using ethernet) to my fairly new Netgear N150 wireless router to connect to a couple of iOS devices AND a Netgear Range Extender?  

When I clicked on the link in XFINITY Internet Service: Action Needed notice that was splashed on my screen, I thought I was just checking to see what was being offered. But no, I had just ordered a Gateway. 

Ken

Expert

It's not "free". You have to pay the monthly rental fee. And yes, it can be put in to FULL bridge mode.

Frequent Visitor

So, "we'll replace your outdated modem  with a Wireless Gateway at no cost to you," really means "at no cost to you - except a monthly lease fee." And "Please visit us a https://www/comcast/device upgrade, and follow the instructions to have your replacement modem shipped to you," really means "one-click ordering," because the result of following that link, with no other input, was the message, "Thank you for placing the order to upgrade your XFINITY modem." Didn't even have to fill in my name and address. A couple hours later I got an email saying, "KEN, your Xfinity Self Install KIt has shipped."  I didn't even know for sure what I had "ordered."  Hmmm....

Ken 

Tags (1)
New Poster

@Ken - just a little clarification cause I know exactly where you are coming from.....

First - if you were already renting a modem from Comcast the rent fee will remain the same - even though this is an upgrade. The "free" applyes to the fact that you are getting this upgrade at no "additional" costs. Of course we all know that when Comcast raises it's fees come the new year it's anyone's guess how much we who have this "free" upgrade will be charged.

Second - if you were NOT renting a modem from Comcast but using your own "Comcast compatable" modem then you will find a rental charge for this "free" upgrade on your next bill. You will have to find out from them how to give the thing back. What I have been told is that the system is going to something - Dss...3 (sorry can't remember the full designation) and anyone with modems that are Dsomething something 2 or less are being warned that they will soon be incompatable.

Third - as to using your own wireless router (if you keep the darn modem) follow EG's solution at the top of this thread. The full bridging thing turns the wireless function of the Gateway off and it just becomes a standard modem. You even keep all of the ID's and addresses you already have set with your router, there is no need to change them.

Hope this helps -

Cap'n Kero

Regular Visitor

It's a matter of Docsis2 (old cable modem) vs. Docsis3 (new gateway). Plenty of info online with regards to the difference between the two. What bothers me is the fact that I have to use Comcast customer service to configure my gateway for bridging. Comcast could have been proactive and made this feature customer-configurable. Much easier for the customer and much fewer customer support requests asking for bridge configuration.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Captain_Kero, you're probably right, but that certainly is not the plain English meaning of the urgent Action Needed pop-up message statement, "at no cost to you." And the "Thank you for your order" process doesn't provide ANY information at all about what's being ordered, aide from a Wireless Gateway, much less a siimple statement about lease fees (a cost!), or a chance to decline the offer. And the bogus order process filled in my name, address and Comcast account number, and certainly had access to the information that I was not already leasing a modem from them.

Well, this message thread answered the technical question and is not the place to hash this out, so I'll probably wait until the package arrives, then dump it off at the local service station.

Ken

Expert

homebruin wrote:

It's a matter of Docsis2 (old cable modem) vs. Docsis3 (new gateway). Plenty of info online with regards to the difference between the two. What bothers me is the fact that I have to use Comcast customer service to configure my gateway for bridging. Comcast could have been proactive and made this feature customer-configurable. Much easier for the customer and much fewer customer support requests asking for bridge configuration.

If you get the Arris TG862G, the newest firmware allows the end user to toggle the bridge mode and the WiFi radio functions on and off within the user interface pages. AFAIK a future new firmware push to all the Comcast supplied gateway devices will also allow this feature in all of them.

Regular Visitor

Thanks, EG. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice and was sent the TC8305C. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Using my own Router with Wirel ess Gateway

I was also astounded that clicking on one link automatically placed an order for the new "gateway" to be shipped to me.... and like many of you, I have NO desire to have two sets of wi-fi devices going.... I'm perfectly happy with having my Comcast modem plugged into my own wi-fi router.    I am hoping that "FULL BRIDGE MODE" will work as advertised.... "Comcast Jesse" - you will get a request from me too....

Regular Visitor

Is "Comcast Jesse" the only person who will help with bridge config here? I'd rather avoid the phone option if possible.

Bronze Problem Solver

I can't say for sure who else is able to enable/disable bridge mode, but I am more than happy to help out if needed.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon