Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Contributor

Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Is their any reason that you can't use the gateway in bridge mode if you have Xfinity Home service without buying a proprietary router from Comcast?  I have a 2 story house and need coverage that one radio can't provide.  I prefer to have control of my network and its security and use the gateway solely as an internet connection.  The router offered for sale is best adapted tor a studio apartment.  Right now I have my main router connected to the switch on the gateway upstairs, a second router used as a wired repeater downstairs,  and also have to use the gateway radio for a network that is superflous.  Given the recent reports about security flaws in the network provided by the gateway, I'm especially concerned. 

Official Employee

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode
Expert

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

Thanks for that information; I will try to remember it if I ever put my XB6 in bridge mode.  My Orbi is in AP mode, so all I had to do was to turn off the XB6 wifi.

Contributor

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system


@willie_mctell wrote:

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

 


You don't have to buy it, Comcast will give you one.Might need a tech to install it though.

Contributor

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Thanks, I'll look into it.  I'd like to find out how much control I'll have over its network.

Official Employee

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system


@willie_mctell wrote:

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

 


You don’t need to buy anything, it’s provided if needed and only installed by a tech. There’s nothing really to control, it’s going to be attached hard wired to your present router, you wouldn’t be running any of your personal devices through it.

Contributor

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Why does a tech need to install it?  It sounds like I will be unable to control the router.  I'm very uncomfortable about having a device on my home network that I don't have administrator privileges on.  Let's not get into the semantics of "home network."  It's behind the cable modem.  I'm already disturbed by being unable to perform admin functions on the security system terminal beyond the end user stuff available on the menus..  BTW, there are only 2 ethernet ports on my cable modem.  Does "hard wired" man that the router uses one?  


@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@willie_mctell wrote:

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

 


You don’t need to buy anything, it’s provided if needed and only installed by a tech. There’s nothing really to control, it’s going to be attached hard wired to your present router, you wouldn’t be running any of your personal devices through it.



Frankly I find the cable modem disturbing although it allows partial control.  

Official Employee

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available
Contributor

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Exactly the problem.  I expect to have administrator privileges on my own network.  I feel very uncomfortable having a service provider control this.




 wrote:
It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available

 

Expert

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system


@willie_mctell wrote:
Exactly the problem.  I expect to have administrator privileges on my own network.  I feel very uncomfortable having a service provider control this.




 wrote:
It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available

 


I have only needed that function when I had a tech to make changes.  

Contributor

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system


@RobertWyExactly.  I'd rather make the changes myself.  It goes back to the definition of personal computing, you have control of your data and your hardware without having to deal with a third party.




 wrote:

@willie_mctell wrote:
Exactly the problem.  I expect to have administrator privileges on my own network.  I feel very uncomfortable having a service provider control this.




 wrote:
It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available

 


I have only needed that function when I had a tech to make changes.  


 

Problem Solver

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Oh? How many alarm or security companies give you complete administrative access over their devices or their system? For that matter, does Apple give you complete access over your iPhone when it's connected to your network? 

 

The Netgear sidecar router runs its own proprietary firmware, and connects only to the Comcast system. You don't need to be mucking around with its internal settings, it's only there to help manage your Home Security network. You have enough control over the Touch Screen, and the XFinity Home App, or at https://home.xfinity.com to manage your security. 

 

 


"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman