Community Forum

Using a MoCA Network Adapter by Actiontec with Xfinity

haueryou26
Regular Visitor

Using a MoCA Network Adapter by Actiontec with Xfinity

Hello,

I want to use a MoCa Network Adapter using a Coaxial-to-Ethernet conversion kit. I was able to hook it up to my TV and router and it says it has a full signal. When I go to hook up the second adpater upstairs using Coax input it will not pair or connect to the first device. I have tried swapping devices and the same thing happens. Can I get a technician to look at my internet box and verify all my coax cables are spliced together? I did attempt to get this to work in another room in my house and the same thing happened. 

I also attempted to turn on MoCA on my router and that didnt fix the issue. 

Really hoping someone can help me since I can never talk to a real person via the Xfinity phone number 1-800-934-6489

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Using a MoCA Network Adapter by Actiontec with Xfinity

Techs aren’t going to come out just to verify rooms in your house are hooked up or to verify your moca adapter is hooked up correctly.. Follow your cables to where they all come together, look for splitters, chances are good those other rooms aren’t hooked up. You can verify this by moving your modem to those rooms and see if it locks in like it does now.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
haueryou26
Regular Visitor

My house was built with cable in the walls. So one would assume they all converge at the cable box on the outside. IF you are saying just pop open the Comcast Cable box to verify everything is setup correctly, then NP. I always just assumed this was part of Comcasts job but its sounding like you are saying go for it.  Thanks for the help 😃

EG
Expert

In addition, make sure that splitters are MoCA passing / compliant.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Blaxtar0170
New Poster

I have been doing some research on this for my own network, currently using PowerLine. Look at all the splitters being used in your coaxial network from the box outside to all splitters inside. MoCA compatible splitters should be 5 - 2300 MHz. Xfinity gave me several splitters to use while I ran new coaxial. The splitters Xfinity gave me were 5  - 1002 MHz. These Xfinity splitters will interfer with a MoCA network... Do not use the 5 - 1002 MHz splitters.

Again... check your splitters. MoCA compatible splitters should be rated 5 - 2300 MHz. 

EG
Expert

@Blaxtar0170 wrote:

Again... check your splitters. MoCA compatible splitters should be rated 5 - 2300 MHz. 

Actually, this is the proper splitter to be used with a MoCA network;

http://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0?tag=ds0233-20 /www.amazon.com/Ohm-Terminator-4-Pack-Cable-Connections/dp/B0016A986K

The 5-2300MHz splitters are more so designed / engineered for satellite systems, not cable systems. It can actually make performance worse by allowing line noise ingress at those higher frequencies that cable systems do not operate on.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
EG
Expert

The O.P. has not returned. 3 month old dead thread now being closed.