Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Using 2 modems

Regular Visitor

Using 2 modems

In a recent call to tech support, I was very disappointed to learn that only one internet cable modem can be registered within the Xfinity system at a time. You can have 2 modems running if you add a second and do not remove the first. However, as soon as you power cycle the first modem the Xfinity system will not recognize it any longer and requires a call to tech support to reestablish the second modem. In essence the second modem takes over as the primary, because the system only recognizes one and you have to "game" the system to have both active.

This situation was explained to me as a "business decision" within Xfinity which, in my opinion, is a terrible business decision. I see no benefit to Xfinity or the end user in not fully allowing multiple modems to operate within a home. Can someone from Xfinity elaborate on this topic further and explain to me how this helps anyone?

I have been very happy with my service over the past decade and value this service for cable and internet. This situation will likely cause me to cut the cord if I need to repeatedly call to restablish the second modem as my new building is wired for webpass.

Expert

Re: Using 2 modems

Why do you need two separate cable modems ? What can two modems do that a home networking router can't do ?

Regular Visitor

The WiFi signal from the main floor does not pass through to the higher floor very well, so I wanted to use a second modem and establish a second network on that floor. I already had 2 solid WiFi routers and a solid cable modem and just bought a new cable modem to support voice. 

New Poster

I'm wanting to do this for the same reasons.  Have you had any luck?