Community Forum

Use seperate account and password on low-speed channel for visitors

Frequent Visitor

Use seperate account and password on low-speed channel for visitors

Xfinity recommends the same ID and password for both the 2.4 and 5 GNz channels.  I'd like to keep the 5 GHz channel for household use and have a seperate ID and password for the 2.4 GHz channel for visitors.  Is ths sensable?  What are the negatives?  Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Use seperate account and password on low-speed channel for visitors

@FerdFarquar wrote:

Xfinity recommends the same ID and password for both the 2.4 and 5 GNz channels.  I'd like to keep the 5 GHz channel for household use and have a seperate ID and password for the 2.4 GHz channel for visitors.  Is ths sensable?  What are the negatives?  Thanks!

I believe the single SSID is required if you have the xFi Pods.  I had two SSID's before I got my Orbi, which also has that requirement.  You can use this to assign separate SSID's.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

That was my thinking as well. I had the B86 router installed and the tech created two networks. My husband and I use the 5 ghz and saved the 2.4 ghz for guests. Each network has a separate name and password. We are fortunate that we don’t need any kind of pod. We have service out at our pool and deck and all over the house. I did shut off the hotspot. 

Highlighted
Expert

@FerdFarquar wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that. 

For one thing, while the 5Ghz band has a larger bandwidth pipe and thus deliver faster speeds, the 2.4Ghz has better range and more devices support it. If you're using a smartphone for instance, you could find yourself going into an area where your 5GHz band doesn't penetrate into, but your 2.4 GHz band will. Pretty much all dual band devices will latch onto the more appropriate band, so there wouldn't be a need for you to separate them. 

If you're using the Comcast gateway, you can have your guests use the "xfinitywifi" network instead. 

If you have a third party router or wireless access point,  you can create a separate "Guest Network" solely for that purpose. 

What exactly is the reason for separating the 2.4GHz band for your guests to use? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hey, thanks!  You've pointed me in the direction I need to go.  I'm just concerned about giving out my home password and ID to everyone visiting. I didn't know about the xfinity side band.  That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.  I'll check it out.  Thanks again.

Official Employee

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this, FerdFarquar!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@FerdFarquar wrote:

Hey, thanks!  You've pointed me in the direction I need to go.  I'm just concerned about giving out my home password and ID to everyone visiting. I didn't know about the xfinity side band.  That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.  I'll check it out.  Thanks again.

Having a seperate ssid and password on the 2.4ghz band for guests provides no additional security. People connected to the 2.4ghz band are on the same network as those connected to the 5ghz band and can access anything on the network with the same degree of ease. All you will accomplish if you have a number of guests over is giving them a poor experience as the 2.4ghz band has limited channels, lower bandwidth and becomes easily congested.

Actual guest networks like those used in businesses and more advanced home setups put guests on a seperate VLAN so they are isolated from your home network. In order to do this properly, you're going to need different equipment.