Community Forum

Use range extender with Xfinity public hotspot?

New Poster

Use range extender with Xfinity public hotspot?

Hi,

My work location does not provide wifi.  A business next door has an Xfinity wifi hotpsot signal that I can use with my phone from one side of the building, but the signal's too weak to reach my office.

Has anyone successfully used a wifi extender to boost the signal to be able to log in to their account and use the wifi?  I've set up extenders for home wifi for friends, but I don't know if it would be possible to access the Comcast login screen via the extender so you could tell it which SSID/network to repeat.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm pretty sure everyone here will know that I'm trying to access the "public" SSID for use by existing Comcast customers and not the modem owner's private network.  I asked this on another forum and people suggested I was illegally using the network as they didn't understand Xfinity's hotspot network for subscribers.

Official Employee

Re: Use range extender with Xfinity public hotspot?

Hi gh1138, thank you for reaching out and welcome to our forums.  If I understand you correctly the business next door would have to be the ones to set up an extender and configure it to extend their signal.  Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Do a Google / YouTube search for "travel router".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Already have one, but unless I can somehow configure the travel router to automatically select that SSID and auto login, I don't see how it would work.

Or am I missing something?

Expert

There are a couple of YouTube videos that suggest a particular travel router and method.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Guess I'll hit youtube.  Thanks for the lead.

Expert

No prob ! Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Thank you for posting within the community gh1138, take care.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.