Community Forum

Use Netgear router with X1 TG1682G

New Poster

Use Netgear router with X1 TG1682G

Is there a simple procedure to use your own router instead of the X1 router / modem combo?  I understand you need the X1 device for modem / telephone, but is there a way to disable it as a router and use your own?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Use Netgear router with X1 TG1682G

You need to enable bridge mode on the 1682 so that you don't have an undesirable double NAT condition on your home network;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode  

Expert

Re: Use Netgear router with X1 TG1682G

If you're wanting to use your own router anyway, why not just ditch the Comcast gateway and buy your own eMTA (voice) modem? A Netgear CM500V will set you back around $120, true,  but that will pay for itself in a year since you won't be paying the $10-$11/mo rental fee.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!