Community Forum

Upstream status light and unbonded channels

New Poster

Upstream status light and unbonded channels

Hi,

I have been having issues with my internet service and noticed that the upstream status LED on my modem (Netgear CM500) is blinking green and blank. I don't check it often but do remember seeing it holding solid in the past. Internet and TV service are both currently working.

Logging in to the modem page, I can see that 2 channels are failing to bond and the ones that do connect, the power is 54 dBmV. I saw other posts on this forum that indicate this might be high, but I have no idea what the expected range is.

I have a technician visit scheduled but would have to leave work early to meet them. Advanced Tech Support has called me a few times to try to get me to cancel, saying if its working, then everything's good. My concern is that the unbonded channels are evidence that something has changed and has reduced the reliability of our connection.

Anyone have any advice on if the unbonded channels are a concern and if the technician visit is needed?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Upstream status light and unbonded channels

Yes but without seeing the actual downstream numbers, to give advice with I’d keep the appointment. Your upstream ideally should be between 35 and 51.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@plz_halp wrote

Anyone have any advice on if the unbonded channels are a concern and if the technician visit is needed?

Sounds like an RF signal / connection quality issue. Just as an FYI, the maximum amount of upstream channels offered on the Comcast system is four. Many areas still offer only three.

Please post back about how things go with the tech visit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

The service technician visited and I now have solid green LEDs where expected. He found a poor connection behind our coax wall socket and crimped on a new terminal. On the junction box, he removed a splitter and might have removed a filter.

Before, downstream channels had power ranging from -10.8 to -7.9 and 54 for upstream.

After, downstream -3.8 to -0.4 and upstream 48.3 to 48.8.

Hopefully, this all means a more stable connection. Thanks to you both for your suggestions to keep the appointment and for taking the time to respond.

Expert

Looking good !!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!