Community Forum

Upstream power levels too high... 58 dBmV+

New Poster

Upstream power levels too high... 58 dBmV+

Hello All,

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who may be more experienced on this topic, as I am sadly getting to my wits end here. 

Long story short, after a lot of troubleshooting to understand why my internet connection at home is so unstable, I finally ended up checking my modem status menu and discovering that my upstream power levels are WAY higher than what Comcast recommends. After struggling through the automated phone menus, I was finally able to speak with an agent on the phone; I explained my issue, and requested they send out a technician to check the power levels at the tap, and just before entering my house.

Fastforward to the of the appointment, and the technician they sent out throught he was there to re-run a line. I told him I simply want him to check the power levels so I can determine if the issue is in my house, or on Comcasts end. He told me he didn't have the equipment for that, and I would have to rescheudle.

Fast forward to today, three months later and still no technican has come out to check the power levels. I have had three scheduled appointments, but all get cancelled (without my knowlege) due to "higher priorities". I only mention this because I am sick of going through the process of re-explaining my issue every time I speak with an agent. 

On to the facts:

Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6190

Current line outside my house is about 8 years old. 

Upstream power level: Averages around 57 dBmV.

I have tried everything I can to deduce where the likely cause for these high levels are, to the point that I have brought my modem outside and connected to the line prior to where it enters my house, power levels were still too high. 

So, what I want to know... what causes this? How do I get this corrected? Is there anything I can do myself? From what I have read on this forum and the Comcast sub on Reddit, despite Comcast acknowledging high levels, it does not necessarily mean they will do anything to correct it. 

I have read that using an amplifier with active return could help. But to my understanding of the physics involved here, this would only be a bandaid solution to a much larger problem. 

Any insight, tips, advise, is very much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Upstream power levels too high... 58 dBmV+

I'm going to escalate your ongoing issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi JLemmon06. We appreciate you visiting and posting on the Xfinity Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your unstable internet connection. I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name so I can access your equipment. Click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile, then click the link that says "Send a message". There you can private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi JLemmon06. Since we didn't see a response from you, this thread has been locked. Please don't hesitate to send me a private message if you continue to need help with this issue, or create a new post if you need assistance with anything else. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.