Community Forum

Upload speeds halved for the last week.

Contributor

Upload speeds halved for the last week.

I have 150/10. (Blast), on a SB6183 modem.

Last Sunday my upload was halved (5-6ish), then it came back the next day, was fine for 2 days then went back to being halved, modem signals are fine, nothing in logs, download speeds are fine, no packet loss. Modem signal levels attached. I feel it might be an overcap or failign node or some such.

Tried the usual, rebooted network stuff, check connections, etc. Even hopped on a neighbors xfin wifi and it is borked too.

Can someone look into this please?

Thanks.

comcastCapture.JPG
Expert

Re: Upload speeds halved for the last week.

The stats are fine. Perhaps it an intermittent local capacity / congestion problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Maybe, but it's not intermittent anymore, it's been like this 24/7 for nearly a week, iperf3 tests on a remote cron show it.

Expert

Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) / return path somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thank you very much.

Official Employee

Hi, degamad. Thanks for posting here in the community for support. I'm sorry that your speeds seem to be running slower than normal. While that is frustrating, there are a few things to consider. First and foremost, we do not guarantee wireless speed and it will fluctuate. That is why the speeds are quoted in 'up to' increments. Are you getting consistent speed while hardwired?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I don't use wifi for my PC, it's always been hardwired. Wifi is only used for my phone. The test performed are on a hardwired PC on a gigabit network. And no, I am not getting consistant speed, the upload speed is halved and has lots of jitter...and as stated the neighbor is having the same issue. For the record since upgrading to blast, the upload speeds were wlays a solid, non jittery 10 Mbps upload, it is why I upgraded, right now I am not only getting pre-blast speeds, but the upload only gets up to 5-6 Mbps then jumps down to 500 Kbps or lower then back up again (jitter). There is a problem somewhere.

Official Employee

Please post a few speed tests that you've completed from: http://speedtest.xfinity.com/. Are you hardwired to the actual modem or are you hardwired to the router?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hardwired on the router, I replaced it with a backup router and it did the same thing, bypassed it, and it did the same thing. D/L speed is fine-ish, the upload. For what it's worth I install and maintain networks for a living and deal with this kind of thing daily. I also have a client using comcast business in the same area (diff zip) exhibiting both download and upload issues, but I am dealing  with that through other channels. Looking at downdetector also indicates problems with this area. Also on your own status page: https://www.xfinity.com/support/status-map/ I see the area all around me having problems every hour sometimes as much as 2500+ people being down.

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/1559501905558_JWFB62ZJ191O3Y2

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/1559502396447_JWFBGM4635FT1OT

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/1559502561625_JWFBK5GC1MEHFRB

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/1559502726624_JWFBNOLXPPIB6OQ

Official Employee

Awesome, thanks. I'm showing that your speeds are right where they should be, considering your upload speed that is set is up to 10 Mbps upload. You're welcome to check our Xfinity My Account app to determine if there are declared service issues for our service in your area, that is going to be the most accurate source for issues that we've identified as valid and ones that we are working on. I would be able to also pull up your account and check your service interruption history, the health of your modem - including specific signal levels, plus reviewing the node that supplies service to your home. Before that, can you please elaborate on what you meant by Gigabit network?

Contributor

The switch, modem port, and the ethernet card in the PC are using gigabit.

The upload has been at a solid 10 up this whole time, it has degraded in the last week which tells me there is likely congestion, if it's a known temporary issue, then let me know and I can accept that eventually you will upgrade the node (or maybe it's a routing isue that's temp). If you can check the signals on your end and the modem history that would be appreciated, otherwise I cannot justifying paying the extra money for an upload speed I am not getting, the value in Blast is the upload, without that speed, it's valueless to me and it may serve me better to find another non-comcast solution that can allow me to upload at least 10 Mbps. So if it's an known issue, and it's being worked on, I'm reasonable and can wait, but just say so.

Official Employee

If there is any type of known issue, we will absolutely say so. While it's great that you were receiving a solid 10 Mbps in upload speed up to this point, it does not mean that you'll always have 10 Mbps and that it won't fluctuate. We do however want to help you to see if we can get you closer to the 10 Mbps you had previously been receiving on the upload side. Like we talked about for the Blast tier of internet service, the upload speed is up to 10 Mbps. I will ask for the router and switch to be bypassed and un-involved from the equation for the initial troubleshooting on this. I will be happy to review diagnostic and historical information on the modem. Please send me a private message with your name and we will continue from there. Thanks!

Contributor

Thanks, sent.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Perfect. I will reply shortly. Thank you.