Community Forum

Upgrading Comcast Modem have questions

Most Valued Poster

Upgrading Comcast Modem have questions

My 2 year contract with Xfinity is up and I have signed up for one of the new tier programs. With this new tier I get an upgrade from my current Blast speed 250Mbps to 400Mbps speed. This will require I install a different modem so I have some questions.

1) I'm looking for the specs to the new xFi modem. I want to make sure it has 4 hard Ethernet ports plus 16 or more wifi connections.

2) Will I have to manually enter in all the devices, computers, cellphones, tablets or since the info is already in my Xfinity apps will the information download automatically with the sign in passwords?

3)With the old 3941T modem I could go into the utilities via 10.0.0.1 and view all the settings etc. Can I do the same with the new modem and will I use the same 10.0.0.1 address?

4) Do I have to copy all the settings from the old modem to add them to the new modem? How do I set it for the right level of security? How do I turn off the hotspot transmitter?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Upgrading Comcast Modem have questions

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

My 2 year contract with Xfinity is up and I have signed up for one of the new tier programs. With this new tier I get an upgrade from my current Blast speed 250Mbps to 400Mbps speed. This will require I install a different modem so I have some questions.

1) I'm looking for the specs to the new xFi modem. I want to make sure it has 4 hard Ethernet ports plus 16 or more wifi connections.

2) Will I have to manually enter in all the devices, computers, cellphones, tablets or since the info is already in my Xfinity apps will the information download automatically with the sign in passwords?

3)With the old 3941T modem I could go into the utilities via 10.0.0.1 and view all the settings etc. Can I do the same with the new modem and will I use the same 10.0.0.1 address?

4) Do I have to copy all the settings from the old modem to add them to the new modem? How do I set it for the right level of security? How do I turn off the hotspot transmitter?

Thanks

In regards to question 1, if it’s the technicolor CGM4140COM it has two Ethernet ports and two phone ports. I post a front and back photo below. 

For number 2, I didn’t need to enter anything. It all just showed as it was before but you might need xfi pods for that many wireless devices. 

For number 3, there is a way to edit it in the xfi app but contact Xfinity. 

For number 4, you’ll need to login into your gateway admin portal and adjust your settings, mine didn’t change. 

The tech did everything for us. It was a flawless switch, including the security system with cameras. I’m assuming the package you’re talking about is the super triple play? I think there are other modems/gateways that work with it but they are older technology.  Hope I gave you correct info. 

0661CBE3-E5E7-49EC-B261-6263186221C5.jpeg
5BD7EEF6-DB97-41E1-942C-F7FA644D13EF.jpeg
Highlighted
Expert

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

I want to make sure it has 4 hard Ethernet ports plus 16 or more wifi connections.

FWIW, you can always use an ethernet switch if you need more than 2 ethernet ports. Also, it's not the number of WiFi devices that you want to connect that determines whether or not you will need "pods" / extenders, it's if the WiFi strength / range / coverage area is adequate to reach all the devices in the farthest / hardest to reach parts of your home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Thanks for all the info. I don't know which modem they will give me. I can't find the page that shows the latest modem specs on the Xfinity website. (I hate the website b/c I can never find the info I need. Which is why I joined the forum originally).

No I'm not getting the Super Triple b/c I don't need the 1GB speed. I'm 1 tier down at the Signature Triple which will get 400Mbps. Also won't need a tech to install I can do it myself. I just wondered if I have to copy all the settings on my current modem so the new modem will be set up the same way.

I don't need pods. I don't have a problem making a connection. I just want to make sure that I have enough room to connect many devices. I have multiple cellphones, tablets to connect plus a couple of smart TV's. And I want extra spots for visitors etc.

Regular Contributor

I definitely don’t have that type of speed. I’m in Pennsylvania. I get a credit of $12 back for 1gb of data because of have Xfinitiy mobile.
Most Valued Poster

@lkpolovchik wrote:
I definitely don’t have that type of speed. I’m in Pennsylvania. I get a credit of $12 back for 1gb of data because of have Xfinitiy mobile.

Well I have a Xfinity Mobile cell phone but I don't get $12 credits. How do I get credits?

Regular Contributor

I think it comes with the super triple play package that includes Netflix. I’m sure they make money on fees but it worked out better for us. It shows the $12 credit on my bill each month. How long have you had Xfinitiy Mobile? I had it for over a year before I got the super triple play. So when I was sold this package the agent knew what I had. I’m in a rural area and have every service they offer. TV internet phone home security and mobile. I pay about $60 less a month and every time I call to see when my package is about to expire they put us in an affordable package that we enjoy. I know there are a lot of haters out there but they’ve improved significantly in their product for price over the last ten years.
Regular Contributor

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Thanks

If possible, get them to send you the Arris TG1684G "XB3" modem instead of the XB6. I recently got the 400Mbps plan and had the XB6 for a month. The XB3 has the 4 gigabit ethernet ports you are looking for, and the other only difference listed in the specs at the Xfinity comparison page is the XB6 handles 1000Mbps, but the XB3 tops out at 700Mbps. Wifi coverage seems to be about the same for both, but that's only based on what I see in my own house. 

Most Valued Poster

I agree with you. I think the 3941T is the XB3 and should be able to handle 400Mbps. Unless there is some advantage in the XB6 I will try keeping the XB3. I will run speed tests after April 1st when my new tier takes effect and see what speed I get.