Community Forum

Upgraded to Xfi GIgabit - Problems with one computer

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Upgraded to Xfi GIgabit - Problems with one computer

I just upgraded to Xfi Gigabit. One HP laptop getting 900+Mb over ethernet. Mobile devices getting 360+ download and 40+upload. Main HP laptob was getting 300/14Mb before the switch and now only 18Mb down and 29 up. I've restarted the computer and the gateway. Similar numbers wireless on this computer only. No clue what to do. Any ideas?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upgraded to Xfi GIgabit - Problems with one computer

@sad490 wrote:

I just upgraded to Xfi Gigabit. One HP laptop getting 900+Mb over ethernet. Mobile devices getting 360+ download and 40+upload. Main HP laptob was getting 300/14Mb before the switch and now only 18Mb down and 29 up. I've restarted the computer and the gateway. Similar numbers wireless on this computer only. No clue what to do. Any ideas?

Is the HP using wifi or ethernet?  If wifi is it using the correct SSID and password?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I've tried both Ethernet and Wifi and both are ultra slow. As I said, Wifi works fine on my phones and tablet. Ethernet works great on my other HP laptop. Everything was fine on this laptop until I switched gateways.

Official Employee

Hello sad490. Thanks for posting on our Forum. I can assist with further troubleshooting your computer speed issue. Have you been able to test using a different Ethernet cable? 

Note: There are several factors that play into achieving Gig speeds: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes. I have tried a different cable and even switched cables between computers. It just seems very odd that the problem is on both ethernet and wifi and only on this computer and only siince the new gateway. Unfortunately this is my primary computer. The one that is working is my backup.

Official Employee

Let's try and find the cause of your speed issue, sad490. Since your backup computer / and mobile devices are reaching normal speeds and just your main computer is not achieving, there could be an issue with software, like antivirus, or a firewall. Have you checked that? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your suggestions. I discovered that using the browser based speed test was giving appropriate results so I uninstalled and reinstalled the speedtest desktop app and still had bad results. I installed the Microsoft speed test app and it is giving me accurate results. So it appears the problem was the Ookla Speedtest app itself and not my computer. Problem solved.

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Let's try and find the cause of your speed issue, sad490. Since your backup computer / and mobile devices are reaching normal speeds and just your main computer is not achieving, there could be an issue with software, like antivirus, or a firewall. Have you checked that? 

Official Employee

Hey this is break-through! I'm glad you figured it out, and more so glad it wasn't anything more severe. Please let me know if you need help with anything else. I am happy to help. Smiley Happy