Community Forum

Upgraded to Gigabit, but the speed is the same - Phone support couldn't help

Highlighted
New Poster

Upgraded to Gigabit, but the speed is the same - Phone support couldn't help

I recently (sunday) upgraded to Gigabit Internet, but my speed is still in the 150Mb range down, and 5Mb up.  I rebooted the modem several times, and the computer.

Support basically had me reboot everything, then said they couldn't help because I own my modem (he kept saying he didn't have the "codes" to make changes to my modem).

They did offer to send a technician, but said there would be a charge of $70, so I'm hoping somone here (maybe someone from xfinity) might have some ideas.

I'm currently plugged directly into the modem (ARRIS SB6190), so it's not anyting in between.

Any thoughts?

Expert

Re: Upgraded to Gigabit, but the speed is the same - Phone support couldn't help

You can't get gigabit service with that modem. It's only DOCSIS 3.0 capable. You need a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem,

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Upgraded to Gigabit, but the speed is the same - Phone support couldn't help

Thanks,

I followed advice from:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Provisioning-a-modem/m-p/2710306

And the support person this time was extrememly helpful, and reprovisioned the modem - and though I don't get gigabit, the speed more than doubled, and he explained I wouldn't get full speed until the modem was replaced.

Expert

If it's not DOCSIS 3.1 capable, it defaults to using a slower speed configuration file. They will only deliver gigabit speeds over a DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM modulated / PLC downstream channel.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!