Community Forum

Upgraded Modem

Regular Contributor

Upgraded Modem

After renting a modem for about 4 years, I got an email message that I could upgrade the modem. Today, I swapped my "old" modem for a new one at the local Xfinity office.

It was easy to setup and register. I also have voice, and everything is working fine. The speed is very high.

I'm a technical novice and really don't understand why there are two wifi speeds on this modem: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. When setting up names, I chose an option that seemed to eliminate named access to each speed. My named connection is 5 GHz, and the 2.4 GHz connection doesn't show up anymore. I'd like to understand why there are two speeds.

My other question is related to the display lights on the modem. Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz lights blink about once per second. The manual I found online says that such blinking indicates denial of network access. I don't know what that means.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Expert

Re: Upgraded Modem

They aren't "speeds". They are frequency *bands*;

https://www.google.com/search?q=2.4+vs+5.0&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=2.4+vs+5.0&aqs=chrome..69i57j...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

They aren't "speeds". They are frequency *bands*;

https://www.google.com/search?q=2.4+vs+5.0&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=2.4+vs+5.0&aqs=chrome..69i57j...

Thank you. Like I said, I'm a technical novice.

Expert

No worries ! We all started like that !☺

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

If possible, I would still like to have information regarding the two blinking wifi lights on the modem. They are blinking, not flashing.

Expert

It's normal. The firmware is coded to have them behave that way.

Expert

@VitaminE wrote:

They are blinking, not flashing.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Can you elaborate? 

Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

@VitaminE wrote:

They are blinking, not flashing.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Can you elaborate? 

Blinking means slow on-off, once per sec. Flashing means the perception of very fast, continuous on-off.

Expert

Don't sweat it.

Regular Contributor

The email I received about replacing my modem, appeared to be a phishing attempt, based on the raw email headers.
Regular Contributor

@edwardp wrote:
The email I received about replacing my modem, appeared to be a phishing attempt, based on the raw email headers.

You can forward suspicious email to abuse@comcast.net with Phishing Email as the subject. The email will be evaluated.

The email sent to me had the Xfinity icon, and I didn't see a problem. I called Comcast to inquire about exchanging my modem at an Xfinity service center and was told that I could do that. The exchange went fine, and the installation of the new modem was not difficult. So far, so good.

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I erroneously sent it to abuse@comcadt.net and didn't realize it until after it sent. No idea where it went.

I then resent it to comcast.net. The virtual keyboards on smartphones aren't very big...
New Poster

We also received the Xfinity email offer to upgrade our modem. Exchanged our old modem for the new Faster modem at the Xfinity Store. Received NO INSTRUCTIONS with the modem. Plugged it in & let it boot up.
NO INTERNET ACCESS!
Called Xfinity support for help to set it up.
1. They required that we set up a New Comcast Username & Email Address (user@comcast.net)! Also needed new Wireless name & password. This took awhile. Modem finally re-booted & we had internet access on our computers & cell phones. The Tech recommended I get the "Xfinity My Account" App to access our modem & manage our account. I got the App, but I could not log in. I had the new Username, but no password. Message said to call Xfinity for a password reset code.
2. Oops! Also forgot the home phone through the modem. Called back, but initial tech support could not make the changes to add home phone to the new modem. Transferred to "More Technical Support", looonnnggg wait time.
FINALLY got help & got the home phone switched to the new modem, looonnnggg reboot time again. Got a new password for the Xfinity Account (after having my wife authorize me to make changes to OUR account, TWICE, once on my cell phone & again on our home phone), But she approved me. I was then told I could add or change any of her information for our account in the Xfinity My Account App. So I said OK. BUT, when I enter the cell phone numbers, the account app tells me that those numbers are already in use for another account! Same thing with our email addresses! Frustration!!
I will try again tomorrow.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY TO UPDATE A MODEM!!

Why do we need NEW User Names & Email Addresses to change a modem?
Xfinity already has all our information, why can they not just transfer the information from the old, deactivated modem to the new modem? OR, have the modem registered on our account, remove the old modem & add the new modem.
Xfinity's process is VERY TIME CONSUMING, And Stupid!
So Frustrating!!
Regular Contributor

@TooTall13 wrote:
We also received the Xfinity email offer to upgrade our modem. Exchanged our old modem for the new Faster modem at the Xfinity Store. Received NO INSTRUCTIONS with the modem. Plugged it in & let it boot up.
NO INTERNET ACCESS!
Called Xfinity support for help to set it up.
1. They required that we set up a New Comcast Username & Email Address (user@comcast.net)! Also needed new Wireless name & password. This took awhile. Modem finally re-booted & we had internet access on our computers & cell phones. The Tech recommended I get the "Xfinity My Account" App to access our modem & manage our account. I got the App, but I could not log in. I had the new Username, but no password. Message said to call Xfinity for a password reset code.
2. Oops! Also forgot the home phone through the modem. Called back, but initial tech support could not make the changes to add home phone to the new modem. Transferred to "More Technical Support", looonnnggg wait time.
FINALLY got help & got the home phone switched to the new modem, looonnnggg reboot time again. Got a new password for the Xfinity Account (after having my wife authorize me to make changes to OUR account, TWICE, once on my cell phone & again on our home phone), But she approved me. I was then told I could add or change any of her information for our account in the Xfinity My Account App. So I said OK. BUT, when I enter the cell phone numbers, the account app tells me that those numbers are already in use for another account! Same thing with our email addresses! Frustration!!
I will try again tomorrow.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY TO UPDATE A MODEM!!

Why do we need NEW User Names & Email Addresses to change a modem?
Xfinity already has all our information, why can they not just transfer the information from the old, deactivated modem to the new modem? OR, have the modem registered on our account, remove the old modem & add the new modem.
Xfinity's process is VERY TIME CONSUMING, And Stupid!
So Frustrating!!

This is not acceptable. Comcast must do better to provide service to customers, new or existing. I did not download the "app" for verifying my new modem. The instructions with the modem gave a Comcast webpage address (register.xfinity.com) for registration. After plugging in the new modem, it did access the internet via wifi. Registration instructions indicated to enter my Comcast account number and address. After doing that, the new modem was registered and everything worked. I did not have to create a new Comcast username and password. I did have to rename the wifi and provide a password for secure access.

When I exchanged my old modem for the new one, the service person told me that there was a telephone number to call in the instructions to register the new modem. That information was not accurate. The instructions with the new modem gave the steps required to register the new modem online.

So far, everything is working fine with the new modem. I also have telephone service with Comcast.

New Poster

I received my upgraded modem after a laundry list of issues, phone calls, chats, etc too long to go into. I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy. I u plugged from old modem and plugged into new modem. Followed instructions but still no internet or phone. Had to use cellular data to download the xFi app and it took 2 more tries to get it working. Now the problem is my phone gets kicked off the WiFi for no reason. I have now rebooted the modem about 5 times. Anyone have any helpful hints, like manual vs auto for configuring the ip or dns. I’m grasping at anything as this is really annoying. For the past 6 yrs I really had no problems with the old modem.
Regular Contributor

Are they replacing existing gateways (Arris, etc.) with xFi gateways?

Regular Contributor

@edwardp wrote:

I don't know. I just returned from a trip. I have a letter and email from Comcast stating that the "new" modem has a technical problem and must be replaced with a another "new" modem mailed to me via UPS. The information stated that the new modem must be activated by 6/13/2018 to avoid losing internet access  on 7/13/2018. I have not received a new modem.

A Comcast representative should reply to these posts. This is unaccepable.

New Poster

@VitaminE wrote:

@edwardp wrote:

I don't know. I just returned from a trip. I have a letter and email from Comcast stating that the "new" modem has a technical problem and must be replaced with a another "new" modem mailed to me via UPS. The information stated that the new modem must be activated by 6/13/2018 to avoid losing internet access  on 7/13/2018. I have not received a new modem.

A Comcast representative should reply to these posts. This is unaccepable.

This is very discouraging.  I am in the middle of work this summer, and inclined to let the current moden sit in place.  Do they just get cut off at some point? I know nothing about tech issues or equipment.  

Expert

They won't just cut you right off like that. You just won't get any possible automatic speed upgrades.