Community Forum

Upgrade your Modem Letter

New Poster

Upgrade your Modem Letter

I received a letter and an e-mail from Xfinity stating to update my modem to get faster internet speeds since Xfinity is increasing speeds in the area. It also stated that my modem connected to the network won't be able to handle these faster speeds and it's recommended to upgrade. I called customer service and they said this is not happening? Why would I get an email and a letter in the mail? I'm confused. Can someone confirm what speed my package is increasing to, if and when? FYI- I currently own my own router that is capable of 150mbps D/L speed and my blast tier is 75mbps D/L. 

Thank you!

New Poster

Re: Upgrade your Modem Letter

I have also received the same letter and am also confused and seeking answers, as my current modem supports my current speed plan. The letter is very vague and does not share any details about this supposed increase in speed.
20171129_105704.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

Well, you don't mention the make/model you currently have.

There are speed upgrades in the Central division happening now and should be complete by 12/19, as far as I understand.

Performance Starter will go from 10 to 25 down.

Performance will go from 25/5 to 60/5. (already has where I am).

There will be an upgrade in speed for Blast! 75/10 to Blast!! 100/10.

If you have an SB6121 modem it will still support that 100/10 speed, (you could see up to around 120/12, with the overprovision). The retail version is still supported / approved by Comcast.(for now). It is getting dated and more downstream channels is always a good idea.

New Poster

I have the 75 Blast with the 6121 modem.

Thanks for your input!
New Poster

That’s the letter I received too. I have the 6121 as well. Thanks for your help
Silver Problem Solver

Quite welcome!

I would also add that you will of course need to have a 10/100/1000 gigabit conection to see the full speed of Blast! 100/10.

Although a "free" speed upgrade in December, watch out for a price increase in January... Good luck.!

New Poster

If that's the case, then I will start to look elsewhere.

Thanks again.
New Poster

Thank You!  So that's the game plan.  The next letter will be to increase speed and price.  Forget it.  I'm very happy with 75 mbps(?) .  I don't want to pay more.  In fact, I'll go back to antenna and Windstream internet if I have to do so.

Silver Problem Solver

Keep in mind though that this 4 channel modem will be operating at it's highest level. Any congestion in your local area and the speed/performance may suffer.

It is still approved for 100Mbps tier service, so should support this new Blast! 100 upgrade, but you really should be looking for a new modem with more downstream channels.
New Poster

The sequence for me has been:

1) price increase of $5/month a month ago

2) letter today saying my modem will no longer work on the network 1/18/18 due to age (it is a very old 5200) but it works just fine for our limited usage.

No mention of the speed increase for our area.

I am in a rural area of NJ where comcast has no competition. The lines are old Patmedia with intermittent outages in wet and hot weather that comcast will not address without billing us for a service call.

Performance 25mbps and speedtest was 29mbps just now.

Diamond Problem Solver

Do you mean an SB5100 modem ? If so, even though it works fine for your "limited usage", it is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem with which they are ending support for. So likely, it will no longer function on their network after that date.

New Poster

Sorry, yes SB5100 and DOCSIS2.0, maybe one of the last on the network...

I didn't realize that this was the end of DOCSIS 2.0 compatibility. They did not say that in the letter, thanks. It was always just a "not getting best service" type explanation in the past without an end date for service.

(I have resisted upgrading modem due to line problems in our area. Signal strength issues everytime I have spoken with a knowledgable tech support agent. Cable has been replaced from main line to house that improved problem but real problem is further down line somewhere and only in certain weather conditions. Too difficult for them I think. I don't think a DOCSIS3.0 modem will fix these so never upgraded.)

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, the 3.0 standard will still be used for a good time to come but they are actually now implementing an even newer 3.1 standard.
New Poster

If you look at the front bottom of the modem you will see the words "dual band wi-fi"

This is why they are sending new modems out to everyone possible.

They are using us to grow their wifi base, or hot spots.

The old modem is already doing this but you have control as to whether or not it is active, by settings in your comcast account.

Now, every customer is sending out a wi-fi signal and when enough are together they form a hot spot for anyone who is a comcast internet customer when they enable this feature on their devices.

Silver Problem Solver

You are correct to the extent they do want to increase their wifi hotspots. However the original post was about retail modems if you read the whole thread, the SB6121 in particular. This is a 4x4 downstream/upstream modem only..

So what you are talking about is a rented Comcast gateway, which has dual band wireless and hotspot included.

Retail modems/gateways don't have the xfinitywifi hotspot.

Diamond Problem Solver

Not relevant....
New Poster

l also received this letter, but mine is worded that my current modem (Linksys EA8500)  "will no longer work on our network. Your older modem isn't giving you the best service possible."

Based on the discussion here, its all about speed but my plan is only 25 mbps and this modem supports that and much more.  Do I really need a new modem?  I'm leaving xfinity in July due to a move and I REALLY do not want to buy a new one if I don't need to.... But their letter implies I won't get ANY service after 1/25/18.

Chat with xfinity put me with someone who didn't seem to know.  Anyone got any advice?

Diamond Problem Solver

The EA8500 is a stand-alone *router*. It is not a cable "modem". They can't force an "EOL" on a third party stand-alone router.

New Poster

I received a package in the mail from Comcast a couple weeks ago but didnt open it because I did not want or need any upgrade. My systems have worked fine for years. I guess I didnt have a choice. My wi-fi stopped working a few days ago.  Phone too.  I had to call Comcast to hook up the new modem.  I also live in a rural area where Comcast is the only option for internet.  I have basic TV and dont want more, but I bet Ill be forced to upgrade that too.  Too bad our communications services arent available as public utilities.