Community Forum

Upgrade to 250 Mbps but no download speed increase

Frequent Visitor

Upgrade to 250 Mbps but no download speed increase

Hi there!

On Friday I got upgraded to Performance plus Internet and Blast! Pro to get up to 250Mbps. USed to be on the 150 Mbps plan and was happy with the service getting solid 150 Mbps download. With the upgrade I also upgraded my cable modem and went with an overkill Motorola MB8600 thinking I would be ready for gigabit when it finally comes. Installed the new modem, registered it with xfinity and I'm getting the same exact connection speed. Which is disapointing Smiley Happy I'm running an ASUS AC-87U with Asus WRT-Merlin installed. 

Below information about my connection and error log from the modem. 

How do I know if the right config file was pushed to the modem? Anyhting else I should do other than call comcast? 

Thank you for your help!

Fred

connection2.jpgconnection1.jpgeventlog.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Re: Upgrade to 250 Mbps but no download speed increase

This is what is in my account.

My_Device_Info_by_Xfinity.png

Regular Visitor

Sounds pretty much like what I am going through. Upgraded service because it would be "soo much faster". Here I am 1 week and three tech calls later with half the speed I had before (but still the bigger bill).

Frequent Visitor

Is this normal that the configuration file string is empty? 

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Is here someone here from Comcast who could check the bootfile that was sent to my modem? Just to make sure it's the new updated one? Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Well, I guess I will have to call Comcast then ... Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast recently pushed a new firmware version to the MB8600, update from  8600-6.1.1.19 to 8600.18.2.12.

As a result of the update we can no longer see the configuration file name in the connection or event log tabs. Another change was the reporting for the ofdm channel, for me the snr dropped from 39 to 15 and started reporting corrected errors. Neither of these is an issue since the modem still functions and my upload/download stats have not changed.

In order to know which configuration file your modem is now downloading you will either have to call comcast or, one of the experts who support this forum can escalate your question to one of the comcast employees who provide forum support.

When testing your download speed are you directly connected to the modem? That is the only valid way to determine it, not through your router.

Expert

@fredber wrote:

Is this normal that the configuration file string is empty? 

Thanks!

Yes because some makes and models of modems now have it disabled in their firmware loads.

Try calling 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Update: Called comcast and had them reprovison the modem with the latest config. Did a test from my synology which is connected to the router. Not direct connection from a computer as I don't have ethernet port on my laptop. Getting 204 down which is OKish I guess Smiley Happy Will see if I can optimize a few things. 

By the way, used this speedtest for my synology. Convenient. 

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

Thanks all!