Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Update Equipment

Frequent Visitor

Update Equipment

How often does Comcast suggest for equipment to be updated?

My modem which I rent from you is from March 2013 when first installed.

I have never been contacted to do so.  Just curious

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Update Equipment

I don't know the answer.  Since I live 20 minutes from my Xfinity Store, I went by there and asked if they had a newer gateway.  I got an XB3 to replace my older gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/broadband-gateways-userguides/

All Replies
Expert

I don't know the answer.  Since I live 20 minutes from my Xfinity Store, I went by there and asked if they had a newer gateway.  I got an XB3 to replace my older gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/broadband-gateways-userguides/

Expert

AD40 wrote:

How often does Comcast suggest for equipment to be updated?

My modem which I rent from you is from March 2013 when first installed.

I have never been contacted to do so.  Just curious

What is the exact make and model number of that "modem" ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

New Poster

Short answer isthat they don't.

For years I had Adelphia equipment and everytime I contacted Comcast, I would be told that this was the newest equipment.

For those not familiar with Adelphia, this was the company that Comcast bought out in 2006 ! Itwas not until I had a actual Comcast tech at the house that he saw what I was using and replaced it.

If you do not do it on your own, they will not do it for you.

BTW, you should all OWN your own modem/router to avoid paying that monthly charge.  It pays for itself in less than a year in most cases.

Expert

@SnoBrdrVt wrote:

Short answer isthat they don't.

For years I had Adelphia equipment and everytime I contacted Comcast, I would be told that this was the newest equipment.

For those not familiar with Adelphia, this was the company that Comcast bought out in 2006 ! Itwas not until I had a actual Comcast tech at the house that he saw what I was using and replaced it.

If you do not do it on your own, they will not do it for you.

BTW, you should all OWN your own modem/router to avoid paying that monthly charge.  It pays for itself in less than a year in most cases.

Since I have Comcast Voice, I would have to buy a modem/router and an eMTA.

Expert

Marked "answered", dead thread from last year now being closed....