Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Regular Contributor

Re: Extremly High Data Usage

I think it is very unlikely that a TV would use 980GB in a day and I would be looking for other causes.  People tend to focus on things they do directly like watching TV, but that much data that fast is more likely due to a backup program, software updates etc. that may be happening automatically.  Also keep in mind that data on the meter may be delayed up to 24 hours, so something that appeared to happen on a given day may have really happened the day before.

Contributor

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

@sal826

I ran into a similar problem myself.  Wireshark on your LAN is fine for outbound analysis, or inbound if you're intentionally running some kind of "service",  but what you can't see is what is hitting your WAN IP from the cable modem perspective.  Modem might have a firewall that could be partially blinding you.  First, is it enabled, and then, is it responding correctly?  It's a more complex question.  Assuming your cable modem doesn't have a known exploit:

Consider a SYN attack.  If you have ANY port that will respond on your cable modem, a "not very nice" external user can send you a synchronize packet, your open port will respond with SYN-ACK.  Depending on the attack method, that packet from your modem will either go to a bogus IP, or they can discard it quietly on their end with a firewall rule.   In any case, the 3rd part of the handshake, the client ACK your modem expects -- never happens and times out, so your port is left in a half open state.  The object is to either cause a DoS, or exhaust your resources and force a buffer overflow.  Optionally, use the half open port for some other kind of exploit attempt or more complex intrusion attempt.

You'll find this to be a fairly effective method to generate a huge amount of data with limited external resources, and this is only one example.

First thing I'd do us use a utility like nmap from an external location and see if there is ANY response from ANY port on your external cable modem IP address and go from there.  Nmap should tell you "filtered", and not open or closed.  Filtered means zero response.  If you are actually running a service of some kind on your LAN and port forwarding, or using/allowing UPnP from internal devices, I'd be looking at that pretty carefully.  Hide in plain sight too?  Yeah, well....disabling ICMP is always a good idea and that is always another traffic source.  Script kids usually don't use the -Pn option in nmap for portscans so no ping response generally means a pass over, but not all the time.

In my case, I was able to cut traffic by more than half with draconian adaptive firewall rules and routing through a seperate firewall box before the cable modem.  Cable modems are not reliable firewalls.  If you do find a port that doesn't behave or a service you can't disable, sometimes you can forward the port off into the bit bucket (bogus IP), or let it hit an internal firewall directly with a port forward to a firewalled port (preferred).

Now I have another situation where the usage Xfinity reports, is actually LESS than what I honestly know I'm using.  Now where that delta comes from is really unknown.  Averaging error on their end?  Timing thing? Retransmit banking off something.....but only sometimes?  Unknown.  I can see every packet that goes out, or comes into the WAN interface.  I'm still trying to figure that out.  Maybe it's just a firewall artifact on my side..........

New Poster

Well, I'm 7 days into the month and I'm at 273gb.  That's averaging a reported 39GB a day based on the uasge outside the 24 hour delay.  39GB A DAY!!! Really.  In tired of seeing the same ole same ole default responses here by Comcasted of minimize this and minimize that, which minimizing the redundant repsonses would be good, lets do some math; averaging quality between 1080 and 4k, lets use 2K streaming roughly 3GB per movie.  So at 39GB/3gb per movie, that puts me roughly at  10 movies a day, give or take.  So even if the movie lenght averaged out to 2 hours per movie, that would be 20 hours a day watching movie.  Where does that make sense for someone working 8-10 hours a day with 1 kid in school and the other one napping half the day.  This data usage makes no sense at all given the data usage habits haven't changed since thee months of Sept, Oct, and Nov where I used roughly 500-600 GBs, A MONTH!  Then all of a sudden Dec and Jan are showing that I'm using double to triple that?  Nothing on my end has changed.  I reset my network ssid and password, I even swapped out the modem at the request of tech support, yet I get the same BS response that nothing can be done and that I'm using that data somewhere.  If this continues to show this kind of usage, I'll be forced to cancel my services and move over to the competitor.  I won't pay overages and I'm not switching to unlimited! The fact that comcast does nothing about all these people complaining about the same issue is just ludicrous.  At what point does comcast research the issue in their systems and stop looking at the user's modem reports or account usage reports?  There are signs of something more here that comcast is missing.  You've had previous instances of software updates on your end causing a miscalculation on your network.  Could it be a simliar issue?  Was there a software update at comcast recently that cause a glitch in your systems, AGAIN?  Why are so many people having the same issue?  This is not a sparse issue.  You should probably look into it further instead of continually suggesting people check their networks and usages and minimize this and that.  I didn't get internet to minimize my usage on it if I didn't change my usage habits.  Figure this out or you are going to lose more customers!

Frequent Visitor

Have they switched back to the new metering system that was shown to overbill customers?   I have noticed my usage is higher this month than the previous 4.  The only thing going on this month is Netflix streaming.   Maybe 2-6 hours per day due to multiple devices.  Yesterday  no one streamed anything and I still used 27 Gigs of data from the prior day.   I have Netflix set not to stream in HD.  How much data should Netflix use per hour?    According to Xfinity that should be 2-6 gigs per day.  

Between this constant need to monitor and try to figure out what is going on with my data, not having ACC Network AND a price increase, I am about ready to pay the penalty and switch back to my previous provider.  

New Poster

even now the January billing, From Jan 1- Jan 7th my google wifi app shows i used 65.8 GB and my xfinity account shows 132GB data used. Something is really off.

Frequent Visitor

Why can we not see the data used when using apps through our xfinity box?   Also,  why can we not see how many gigs each device uses?  They show a percentage, why not the actual usage from that device?  Then we would know how much data a particular show/app is using.  

New Poster

Re: Overcharges of 1tb

*** I HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS ***

In October 2019, I received a notification from Comcast (Bay Area) to upgrade to a new cable modem that supports DOCSIS 3.1 to take advantage of higher Internet speeds. I upgraded to the MOTOROLA MB8600 in mid-November 2019.  In December 2019, I randomly (no notification from Comcast) saw my Monthly Data Usage exploded past 1 TB - we're consistently under <=200 GB/month.  Our Internet usage pattern did not change nor did we add any new devices and/or services. Without an explanation from Comcast, I reverted back to my old cable modem. Since then we have seen our Monthly Data Usage back to normal. I've concluded this to be a bug with Comcast and/or the cable modem software.

Here's an article on this, but doesn't look to be resolved: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo...

New Poster

Apparrently I'm not the only victim. . .  Two retired people here who consistently used less than 100 Gb/month with ATT. Now after switching to Xfinity for faster internet, all of a sudden we used 1052 Gb our first full month with no change to our usage habits. Ridiculous! 

Silver Problem Solver

@grizz59 wrote:

Apparrently I'm not the only victim. . .  Two retired people here who consistently used less than 100 Gb/month with ATT. Now after switching to Xfinity for faster internet, all of a sudden we used 1052 Gb our first full month with no change to our usage habits. Ridiculous! 

Xfinity may use Internet data differently than ATT.  I signed up for Amazon Prime last month and my usage was higher because I watched several series like Jack Ryan.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Data usage by device

Hello, 

I need a way to get actual data usage by device (not just a percentage.) Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Contributor

What counts against data usage?

Looking for a robust write up of what counts against the Data Usage. I listed out some examples that would give you a idea of the information I am looking for.

Xfinity mobile phone using wifi calling on home wifi
Xfinity mobile phone using data on home wifi
Xfinity mobile phone using data on public home wifi
Xfinity X1 streaming Amazon Prime show through Xfinity application on home wifi
Roku BritBox streaming on home wifi

This is not complete, but tends to cover general areas. Apoligize if this has been asked and answered already.

Expert

Re: What counts against data usage?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Unusual Data Spike/ Repoeted data use is wrong

Since last month when Xfinity inadvertently cut my internet off my account I have had almost double the daily data use as each day over the last 3 years. My internal router which all of my devices are connected to reports almost the same data use as Xfinity each month until now. Xfinity is saying I’ve used 200 more gb than my router and I’ve used more in two weeks than most months. Xfinity has not been helpful at all. I have 3 trouble tickets open but nobody ever responds to them. My MoCA Network has an incredibly high number of error packets according to the gateway but I can’t find anything else wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Unusual Data Spike/ Repoeted data use is wrong

My data usage jumped up once I started streaming with Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, AppleTV, Disney+, etc.  And Peacock streaming is coming.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

xfi usage is not tracking correctly

My home network usage is show very high activity, yet only 3 devices are connected and none are showing any significant activity.  Also my profiles are zero's when showing 24 hour activity.  My usage meter has been spiking with over 70 GB in one day and I am trying to track down the culprit.  But if usage monitoring does not work correctly, how am I supposed to do it?

I have done a hard modem reset by unplugging it.  changed my wifi passwords and made sure all laptops are off.

What am I missing?

Contributor

Re: xfi usage is not tracking correctly

@Annapolismike

I think this forum is going about it the wrong way.  You said hard reset of modem.  That's cool, but what modem specifically?  Unplug won't do factory defaults and you might want to do that too if it's been jacked.  Also, factory defaults might not be what you're looking for here.  Sometimes, there are really insecure settings -- you know, to make it easy for people.  They're not good usually.

Wifi passwords.  Sure.  Thats if your neighbor is dogging you which is unlikely with wpa2 unless you're using the SSID for a password, what about the default admin password for the router itself?  Change that too.  Also, while you're in there:

Disable ICMP
Disable UPnP
Disable Remote Access  to the modem of any kind (ssh, web, hopefully it has no telnet option)
Do Not port forward, unless you have that covered by "other means" with a real firewall. If you find port forwards or port trigging -- you've been pawnd already (world accessible).  Reset again.  Change the default modem password (not just the wifi).

Disable any kind of file sharing on the modem (Netgear ReadyShare specifically -- advanced -> setup).

Make sure the firewall is on.  If it's got a portscan block option, turn that on too.

Some modems have remote exploits.  Model would help.  What is it?  What firmware does it say.  Maybe there's something else to look at.  Netgear has decided NOT to fix some of them.  Government CERT warnings say not to use them at all.

70G is nuts on wifi in 24 hours unless you're trying to do that.  If you change the settings above, see what it is in the next 24 hours.  Other devices on your network can be exploited too.  Try the above and see if it helps.  Go from there.

New Poster

Huge increase in DATA usage

I have been a Comcast customer for many years and never ever been close to a limit. Over 2019 I used an average of 220GB a month. December rolls around and I get an email that I am over the 1TB limit. The only change was i added Disney plus. I have since removed DIsney plus and still my data rate is off the charts. I purchased a new modem and setup an entire new network. Still my data rate is off the charts. Customer service has been NO help at all. I have scanned everything and replaced equipment at MY cost and still no relief.

I NEED HELP FROM MY PROVIDER XFINITY (COMCAST)

Contributor

Everyone assumes that the data is suddenly wrong.  What if it is actually right now and was incorrect before?  My router says I have used 450GB and Comcast is reporting 800GB.  This could be correct if my router isn't counting the Netflix app used through the X1 Box.  I guess I could test this by turning off wifi and seeing if the Netflix app still works.  But I'm too lazy.  I want Comcast to tell me what's going on.  That seems like a lot of data, but I would expect it to be a lot higher since it's a 65 inch 4K TV.  If the router is only reporting streaming to a phone or ipad then it makes sense.

Followup:  After looking at router data, it breaks it down further.  Of the 115GB Netflix usage, 87GB is used on the ipad (my daughter is a Friendsaholic). The rest are on other phones.  My wife and I use the app within Comcast.  All that data going to the big screen is not being counted by the router.  So the only question I have is, Does that app usage count against the monthly limit? I assume it probably is counted on the chart so the answer is Yes.  I live in a state with no cap, so I am good.  But I would bet that those numbers that you are seeing are legit.

New Poster

Hello!

I'm attempting to track exactly what's using the high data. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. Would appreciate some assistance if at all possible.

Overall data usage is about 780 GB of current.

Xfi says my computer uses 70% of the data now which means my computer has used roughly 546 GB.

Windows 10 Data Usage over the past 30 days, says: "276 GB".

Is it possible that I'm looking at things wrong? Or is windows 10 or Xfinity tracker off?

Again, any help would be great!

New Poster

This is trually puzzling my household averages 450 to 575 gigs a month of data witch is likley high to some but we do alot of streaming. Usage has been constent for yrs at that level, but suddenly this month were already  over 1024 at 1/21/2020. according to the e-mail I was sent. (1054)

All our devices added together show a grand total of around 600 combined of 4 devices. now thats means they are saying I'm using double data how is that making sence. I think they have a bug in there system and are looking for a lawsuit. 

25 yrs with xfinity(comcast) around 20 with xfinity internet. I think they have something trualy wrong with there wifi tracking and need to own up to there internal issue. Causemy devices haven't changed in over 5 yrs then suddenly this month I have double data usage with  zero changes in usage.

Yeah right!

I'll be making some phone calls today but based on thread have a feeling that will net me a pointed finger at everything but comcast,

A. comcasting having no idea whats going on

B. comcast taking zero responcability for there system errors.

C. wasting my time and them charging falsely for services.

New Poster

Had another thought as well perhapse they are adding 2 households together. Readings not off the the devices in ones home but the actual cable dome out in the front yard. 2 house holds on the same hub perhapse there systems are combining the readings to one household or dupping them to both households. Will check with my neighbore if they got hit with crazy usage also.

Either way comcast needs to fix there issues.

Regular Visitor

Annotation 2020-01-22 152948.jpgI too have been fighting Comcast for months about data usage suddenly doubling and then staying high. This started to become a consistent issue in early 2019 where I'd routinely go over my data cap by about 100gb after being stable around 700gb prior to that. We only use the internet in the afternoons and on weekends. One person in the house is out of town 2 out of the 4 weeks every month. My router backed this up continually ending up around that same amount in the data usage meter at the end of each month, and did not climb further with the comcast meter. It had stayed roughly at that level regardless of the Comcast readings until my hand was forced to switch to you rhardware due to multiple techs/reps stating they can't help unless I use the xfi stuff. This was done on Nov 29.

As you can see after July with the exception of October our overage amount is signifant, becoming astronimical in November.

The problem could still not be diagnosed, but the overage amounts still weren't enough to justify moving to unlimited until we arrived in November where the household exceeded the limit by 661 gb. Again no usage changed to warrant such a massive increase.  After reveiwing the bill in response I called one of your reps on Dec 22 to say I can't keep getting hit with these charges and I'm done being surprised by bills—lets just add the unlimited if we can take care of my $140 overages from November showing . The rep stated that seeing as I was adding this in December it should apply to my open bill for the previous month of November as those charges should show on my current bill, and no future overage charges will apply. He noted a credit should be applied to balance out those charges.

I've spoken to 3 people in the last 3 days and received zero help on the charges that I believe are the result of ongoing incorrect data usage. Oner person forwarded me to a full invoice with your data team, one stated it was after hours but he gave me his word he would resolve this issue for me by getting me the refund and returning my call the next day which he never did, and today I was told that this kind of retroactive application of a service is not permitted and the best they could do is refund me $90 of the $140 which I've tentatively accepted until a better solution can be offered.

So to summarize we've had an ongoing data issue with massive spikes since the beginning of last year with no change to usage. I've called your security team several times and they refused to help unless I moved to your hardware. I made the switch to your hardware at the request of your security team in late November and still a diagnosis could not be made. I then requested a change to unlimited to avoid surprises and was told by your rep my $140 fee should go away with this change. I have followed up with 3 reps, 1 of which never returned my call even though they stated this would be resolved, one sent me to a dead end, and one was compeltely unhelpful stating that I must have been in the wrong this entire time. It does not make sense we're using 50gb+/- of data a day when usage is limited to evenings.

@ComcastTeds please help! Ideally I'd like my massive data issues diagnosed and resolved, but at at a minimum I'd like for your company to maintain its word and remove these charges.

https://imgur.com/a/JMwE1AD

New Poster

Re: Internet usage

I have had xfinity services since 2016 and have been a loyal customer. In October 2019 I started receiving the following emails from xfinity "You've used 100% of your data plan this month". At first thought I didn't think anything of it. November same email from xfinity "You've used 100% of your data plan this month". Finally, in December I realized something was wrong. On December 5th I called into internet support and then was transferred to internet security. I was told maybe the following issues could be causing the data overage; data leak, the network could have been compromised, and possibly the modem. They suggested to replace the modem and create new network name and password. I scheduled a technician visit to replace the modem and create a new network name. I was also told they would had $50 for unlimited data until we could resolve the issue. We are now in January and continue to skyrocket with our data usage. I have called numerous time only to be told "you have unlimited data, there's nothing to worry about". Today I decided to call once again to try and look into the issue further. Upon talking with internet security and level 2 security assurance I stumbled on the following article: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo...
I can't say this is the same issue other xFinity customers were having but it does seem pretty identical. Our data the last previous years has been consistent. Using the xFi app looking at each device individually the data doesn't add up. Something is wrong.

I have spent hours upon hours trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I am reaching out for help. I am completely frustrated and beyond disappointed! I am at the end of the road without any solutions.

The last representatives information is listed below:
Ticket #NA250408400
Level 2 Security Assurance
ID #101465

Regular Visitor

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I use the Xfinity Gateway (yes I know, but it does work well). This advice seemed to solve the problem. I believe my Gateway was being attacked at night using up gobs of data. That did not happen last night and I am seeing percentages again on usage. I'll report back about data drain.
New Poster

Why can't I see actual data usage with my the meter? It only shows percent of usage. That doesn't tell me what the total usage is and without accurate information I can't effectively monitor my devices
New Poster

I complained about high usage charges and got nowhere. I was still hitting or getting closer to the 1tb even with my son at college and only one item streaming shows. Does getting my own modem help to accurately measure usage?
New Poster

I was impacted but they just used up my courtesy months so now if it happens I will be paying
New Poster

I'm sorry to hear that. Xfinity hasn't been able to pinpoint what device/devices is using up all my data. I have double my regular data usage with no explantion. I now have emailed corporate. Let's see if I can get some resolution.

Frequent Visitor

Here's something to keep in mind.  Typically, unless you're downloading massive amounts of data, streaming is the culprit.  Now, here's what you have to stream to use 1TB of data in a month.

Most, is not all, sreaming services are using MP4 H.264 encoding/compression.  This is a very effective format and can stream an HD asset to a large TV at 4Mb/s or less.  I monitor through my router and it's typically about 3.8Mb/s, but lets go with 4Mb/s.

Now, 4Mb/s is 500KB/s or .5MB/s, becasue there are 8 bits per byte.  That equates to 30MB per minute and 1.8GB per hour.  There are 1000GB in a TB, so you need to stream 555 hours of HD video to reach 1TB.  This means you need to stream 18.5 hours of HD video each and every day of the month to reach the 1TB limit.  Lets say you cut the cord and have 3 people in your household streaming video at the same time....  Each person would need to watch 6 hours and 15 minutes of HD streaming each and every day for 30 days straight to hit the 1TB limit.  Does that sound like whats happening in your home?  

New Poster

Xfinity Comcast doesn't provide internet daily usage information because I dont own his modem!!!

After 50min conversation with a rep I found out how much was my internet daily usage. Why I'm not able to access my own daily usage information you may ask, well the answer was I do not own their modem so in spite of they, on their side, being able to see it I am not. Why I'm not being offer that information through my account and I have to settle with a "monthly usage" or trust in their word to know how I am spending my internet usage? 

New Poster

Re: Your data usage numbers for my account are still incorrect.

Did anyone get this sorted out with Comcast? I spent hours on the phone trying to explain my issue to someone but got NO WHERE! I noticed my data usage has gone over the 1 terabyte every since I got an increase in speed around October. The tech I spoke to today made me feel so stupid like I have no idea what I am talking about, but after reading through this I can see a lot of people are having my same issue! I ended up just cancelling my account because this is ridiculous and I am tired of being charged for going over my data when I know I clearly am not streaming THAT much tv. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
New Poster

Suddenly exceeding terabyte of data usage

In Dec. and Jan. I am suddenly exceeding my data usage by hundreds of GB's each month. What is going on? I've never exceeded the 1,024 GB's before and suddenly I'm going 100's over the limit? I've seen a LOT of people complaining about errors. Is this happening again to new locations?

New Poster

Re: Suddenly exceeding terabyte of data usage

Spent an hour on the phone the other day trying to sort this and all the reps would say is they cannot see itemized usage only the grand total and only three months of use even though I can see the past  8 on my account. So basiclly if there system is glitching the data feed count they have no clue or way to check verify least at teh costumer service level anyway. So we have to trust them at there word ( laughting so much laughting).

I'm now self metering my internet cause xfi is a just so much burning garbadge of an app, worth less. Info that helps nothing ooh I can disconect a device so what you get better info on my account on xfinity website and check internet usage that atleast gives you a number, accurate or not. Just so much failure.

customer service on there end is just foreight script readers with minimal awareness of what they are even doing of the three people I was transfered to non at all were helpful except to say in polite terms I can only offer you run around solution of saying moniter your data usage. I then re went through with the final rep data usage I show I've used aross my devices and he could only say you havec aceeded your limit but you have one more remaining overage pass month before you will start being charged for overages. 10$ per 50gig capping at 200$ just insanity.

I have also notices my net speed is almost 15 faster then what I'm paying for its actualy like 12 but perhapse there system is messed up reading the changes in speed. Further more till they got hit by government investigation back in 2017 comcast refused to own up to any error on there part they did have errors and had to admit it and pay back some costumers but is was slap on the wrist nothing ness. Plus they have Zero accountability  via goverment monitering once again so of there practices are what ever they feel like doing once more.

Data cap in the first place just seems like it should by un constational. If your already paying for the service modify the "deal" with data caps is just so many ways of wrong as data usage  only goes up as the yrs go by hello 1k then 2k now 4k, get real . Comcast has so much monopoly witch shouldn't be legal either. ALL there "plans" should revert to unlimited again cause they all were orginaly and end the scaming.

As it stand comcast will not resolve anyones issues with there blind data numbers cause transparancy is not there way. Good luck with the over seas costumer service as well half of them barely speek english and most have no idea what they are even doing or saying besides reverting to script reptive reading.

Comcast is a monopoly in my area but I am trualy considering just going dish.

Regular Visitor

No

@Annapolismike wrote:
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I use the Xfinity Gateway (yes I know, but it does work well). This advice seemed to solve the problem. I believe my Gateway was being attacked at night using up gobs of data. That did not happen last night and I am seeing percentages again on usage. I'll report back about data drain.

Not so fast I guess.  worked for about 36 hours and suddenly this morning when no one was home, my network use spiked to very high until I remotely reset my modem.   None of my devices showed any use during this period.  I am using the Xfinity Gateway.  I called customer service and they told me to factory reset the modem which I did.   We will see what happens but my data counter will go up by 20-35 GB's of data each day at a time when we are being very cautious about using data at all.   We had been using under 500GB of data per month.  In October it was up over 500gb, Nov 717 GB, Dec 800 GB and already at 758 GB this month.   In my case the Home Network Activity in the Xfi app will spike for hours when no one is using the network in the middle of the night or this morning.   At the same time it will show that NONE of my devices are using the network and all the profiles will read zero%.   My guess would be that someone/something is draining my data externally.  We will see if doing a complete factory reset will help the situation.  

Hacked?  Bad Gateway?  Data loss at the street or in connections?  If you are going to put a limit on data...fine and 1TB is alot of data.  But have the tools available to help customers gauge usage more accurately.  

Regular Contributor

Annapolismike,

I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the xfi meter has the same limitation as the main meter in the Xfinity account - ie: that it doesn't run in real time and that data may show up on the meter up to 24 hours later. So, data going up on the meter didn't necessarily get used when it looks like it got used.