Community Forum

Unstable Connection for 8 Days - No end in sight

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Unstable Connection for 8 Days - No end in sight

I live in Memphis, TN and work from home using a residential account type with Comcast. We only have Internet and are paying for 250mbp/s down. Last Thursday morning, 10/11/18, we started experiencing total packet loss about every 7 minutes. This basically looks like a working connection to the Internet, but every seven minutes we lose signal for about ten seconds and then connection resumes. If you're watching TV, like Netflix, this results in annoying buffering times, but if you're like me and have a job that requires hours of stable connection then it means you can't work. I've been on the phone with a Comcast tech nearly every day since last Thursday and they've done the following to troubleshoot: reset my router, told me to replace my router, and schedule techs to come to my residence. Resetting my router did not work any time they performed the action, because my problem is with packet loss and not a stalled connection. Against my better judgement, I replaced my router but this also did not work as the same problem persisted. Two techs have been to my residence: the first told me he isn't qualified to perform the changes necessary to fix my problem and the second tech did peform maintainance successfully but the problem still persists. He didn't understand what my problem was after he'd completed his work, so I brought him inside and showed him my metrics and my network monitoring (attached photo). He then saw and understood the problem, but then told me he wasn't qualified to fix it. The last customer service rep I spoke with on the phone scheduled a third tech to visit my residence on Sunday, October 21st and could NOT give me any assurance the tech would be more qualified than the last two and proceeded to ask me what I suggest he do. I am at a loss. The only thing I can think to do that is within my power, Comcast, is to switch providers. Your competitor in my area only offers 1/3 of the speed you do at the same price point, but 1/3 of 250mbp/s down is a whole lot more than the service I'm currently paying for. Your reps have been overall condescending, techs have been unqualified, and in the meantime I've lost over $3,000 in expenses for my small Internet business during this time. If you're trying to get rid of me as a four year customer the hard way, please just tell me so I can get back to work.Bad Internets Still.PNG

Expert

Re: Unstable Connection for 8 Days - No end in sight

FWIW, can't see your pic. It likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Hi @MattTheCustomer

Thank you for visiting the forums! Sorry to hear about your issues.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

If you would like help from the community...

Start here: Troubleshooting Guide 

If you haven't already, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Video: How to view power levels and event logs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thanks so much. An advanced tech was assigned to my account for 30 days, still no resolution yet.

Official Employee

Hey @MattTheCustomer

Sorry for the experience you're having trying to have your connection issues resolved. No, we don't want to lose you as a customer. I understand you currently have an Advanced Tech looking into this, but I'd like to review your account, the signals levels, and check for any plant issues to see if there are any updates I can provide. 

Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.