Community Forum

Unknown Device on Network

Frequent Visitor

Unknown Device on Network

So I had Comcast installed  about five days ago and this data cap I never had before with Comcast is killing me.  WHat makes it worse is the amount of data usage it is reporting is around 5x what my OS is showing for the ethernet connection.  Trying to sort this out and I found an unrecognized device on my network labled 'ShepherhoneHG6W' and, needles to say, blocked it. 

What I need to know is what that was, in Comcast's professional opinion, and if I should have done that.  I don't stream, I have the wifi disabled, I don't use any 4k or smart devices... so why is it already saying I've used close to 250 GB in less than five days and why have is it saying that I used close to 20 GB each of the past two nights while everything is unplugged and nothing being used? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Unknown Device on Network

@JeffP48101 wrote:

So I had Comcast installed  about five days ago and this data cap I never had before with Comcast is killing me.  WHat makes it worse is the amount of data usage it is reporting is around 5x what my OS is showing for the ethernet connection.  Trying to sort this out and I found an unrecognized device on my network labled 'ShepherhoneHG6W' and, needles to say, blocked it. 

What I need to know is what that was, in Comcast's professional opinion, and if I should have done that.  I don't stream, I have the wifi disabled, I don't use any 4k or smart devices... so why is it already saying I've used close to 250 GB in less than five days and why have is it saying that I used close to 20 GB each of the past two nights while everything is unplugged and nothing being used? 

I had an issue with my offline backup service like what Amazon uses.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unknown Device on Network

Original poster, different name... I've heard back-up storage devices mentioned a lot but I don't think I have any.  Nevermind that I think these data usage numbers are over-inflated as is but, at this rate, what gets tacked on to my usage overnight is nearly 25% of what they are saying my total usage is and THAT is what is going to put me over and I'm not going to enjoy the COmcast product as long as that is occuring whether $1 or $50.