Community Forum

Unidentified Network

Frequent Visitor

Unidentified Network

Recently updated to the new xfinifty xfi modem and I have my desktop hard wired into the modem. Every morning I receive a "unidientified network" error and can no longer connect to the internet. I have to call Comcast every morning to send a signal to the modem for the internet to work again. A tech has been out and looked things over and said everything looked fine but yet every morning it still drops connection and requires a phone call to comcast. What is the issue here?

Regular Contributor

Re: Unidentified Network

I would start with the Ethernet Cable between your PC / Modem.  If by unidentified network you're talking about the 169.254.x.x IP from the lack of DHCP from the modem/comcast.

If the cable doesn't fix it then I would probably swap out the modem itself.

If that doesn't fix it then I would suspect some sort of account issue that has something hanging in the background causing the modem to be de-authorized thus requiring them to send a signal to re-enable it.

Frequent Visitor

If it’s an account issue, do you know what can fix it? Anyone I speak with from Comcast just gives the same generic answer. It’s ridiculous at this point.
Regular Contributor

Any of the reps here should be able to handle it.  It might take a day or two for someone to respond unless someone escalates it to them.  You might want to post something over in billing or someone might come along here and escalate it for you to a CC rep.

Frequent Visitor

Unidentified Network

I’ve made this post in the internet section but someone told me to post here as well as it may be an account issue.

Recently I have updated my modem to the xfi modem and I have my desktop computer hardwired into the modem. Every morning for the past 5 days now I have woken up to an “unidentified network” error and can no longer connect to the interner. This error has resulted into a phone to comcast where they need to send a signal to my modem for it to work properly. There has been a tech here that saw no issues going on. On another forum thread someone mentioned that there might be a account issue where something might be hanging in the background where it’s becoming de-authorized every morning. Can someone look into this for me? I’m getting tired of calling every morning.
Official Employee

Hello @anthonybel1234. I can assist with troubleshooting your Unidentified Network issue with your internet services. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.