Community Forum

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response/No Ranging Response Received - T3 errors

Frequent Visitor

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response/No Ranging Response Received - T3 errors

Hello,
I'm having connectivity issues and I don' t know why.  And it all started about three months ago when my upstairs neighbor moved in (I live in an apartment building).  Originally, I was tell through Google that my downstream lines were out of wack, sitting at around -11 dBmV.  I had a tech come out at the beginning of July, and he found that when the tech came out to install my neighbors services, he installed a 4-way tap off my line and that's why I was having issues.  He rerouted my line, and my downstream power went from -11 to -3/-5 range.  But my issue changed from not being able to lock in downstream channels to loosing upstream channels.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why I'm connection.  I can go several hours between drops, and I can get a drop every half hour.

According to the Error Logs, this is what's happening, usually over the course of 5-10 minutes:
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response
No Ranging Response Received - T3 Time-out
No Ranging Response Received - T3 time-out
No Ranging Response Received - T3 Time-out

And that happens repeatedly until all 20 error log slots are filled. Last night, I saw some new errors:
TLV - 11 Unrecognized OID
Registration RSP Rejected Unspecified Reason
T6 Timeout and retries Exceeded
Reg RSP not Received
TCS Fail on all Upstream channels

When I have full connectivity, all 32 downstream channels are bonded between -3/-5 power levels, and upstream power sits between 46/49 dBmV.  However, when all the Ranging Responses/T3 errors happen, when it eventually reconnects, full downstream channels get re-bonded in their originall power levels, but the upstream channels don't bond.  I go from 4 upstream channels down to one, and it's way out of wack at 57+ dBmV.  Sometimes, manually resetting the modem (unplug for 30+seconds, then replugging in) will make the modem reacquire 4 upstream channels around 49/51 dBmV; sometimes it doesn't, and only finds one upstream channel at 55+.

If I could duplicate/replicate the situation, I'd call a tech and have them come out so I could show them the problem.  But it's not something that's easily replicatable; I can go hours in between drops, and I get many more drops between 10pm-3am than any other time of day.  I have screenshots/pictures of my modems errors/power levels before/after I lose internet.  And there is only 1 two-way tap in my entire coax line from my modem back to the building's breakout box; it was the one the tec replaced when he visited last.

I don't know what to do, and I'm getting frustrated that my service was pretty much perfect for the first 5 months I lived here, and it's become barely usable in the last 3.  And on a side note, my building's breakout box is completely horrible.  It's not covered at all, and there's a mess of coax cables that looks completely unprofessional and unmanaged.  I documented that as well, and can upload pictures if needed.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response/No Ranging Response Received - T3 errors

I forgot to mention that I captured network data from two of the dropouts via Wireshark.  Obviously, I'd be hesitant to sharing that info with just anyone, but I can search/filter that data if there's something specific that could help

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response/No Ranging Response Received - T3 errors

You should get the techs involved again until it is fixed correctly.

Frequent Visitor

What do/can I tell them to help them diagnose the issue?  I'm hesitant to get hit with a $60 charge a visit to not have a problem fixed

Diamond Problem Solver

Show them this thread. You won't be charged if they find the problem to be on their side of the grounding block / demarc point. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I'll call and schedule a time and update after they come out

Edit:  Tech will be coming out Friday between 5-7

Frequent Visitor

So Friday the tech came out, and was very thorough with his testing.  He found that the splitter I had was going bad, as well as BIR/MIR issues happening on my line at the amplifier on the side of the building.  He scheduled line maintenence to come repair the line.  I got a call Saturday night the maintenence had been done, and the ticket had been closed.  I only had a few drops between Friday night and when I got the call Saturday.

Sunday came, and my internet dropped again around noon.  It proceeded to drop approximently every 20 minutes for next four hours.  At 4pm, the internet finally stabilized and I didn't have any issues the rest of the night, until about 1am Monday morning.  At that time, it dropped again.  It then resumed dropping ~6 hours or so.

I ordered a replacement modem on Sunday, a brand new Surfboard 8200.  That arrived Tuesday night.  I replaced my current modem with that, and couldn't get online.  I can load the modems gateway page, and navigate the different tabs of the modems page, but no access to any other webpage.  However, if I plug my old modem in, the internet works fine.  So I used my old modem last night thru today.  It is still dropping.  I called tech support tonight, with the new modem connected, and asked for them to unlock my new modem.  The Customer Service agent tried to analyize and reboot my modem in order to get it to access the internet.  That failed; the modem didn't reboot or respond to her.  She then told me to return the modem to an Xfinity store and exchange it for a different one.

According to the new modem's status page, it's actually reading better voltage and SNR values than the older modem.  And the fact I can access it's internet page leads me to believe it's not a faulty modem.  Though I didn't ping anything to see if that's actually working.  I'm still lost as to what to do next.  I'm going to try calling again in the morning to see if I can get someone else

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to the forums. You should expect a reply here in your topic.

Frequent Visitor

Ok.  I got my 8200 registered last night and was able to get online.  I didn't notice any drops in service last night, but I wasn't using the internet at all during the evening/night, and the error logs of the modem still notated around a 15/20 T3/T4 errors, either due to: "No Ranging Response recieved",  "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response Recieved", "Recieved REsponse to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance Opportunities recieved T4 error", "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure Failed to Aquire QAM/QPSK symbol Timing".

Frequent Visitor

I do want to say that while the over-the-phone support has been average at best, the two technicians that came out to my residence were extremely helpful and nice.  They explained everything they were doing and answered every question I had as best they could.  And as far as I could tell, it seemed like they did everything they could to try and resolve this issues.  I really enjoyed talking with them while they were servicing my location.  They both did a great job

Official Employee

Hi KN16, If still needed I can review signals on my side.  Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number.

Thank you 

Frequent Visitor

I sent you a message.  I'm now getting consistent "Maintenance - No response recieved" T3 timeout errors, "MDD Message timeout" errors, as well as several hundred "uncorrectables" on my downstream channels, as well as dropping my upstream from 4 to 1.  Also Upstream appears to no longer be bonded.

Official Employee

Hi KN16, I have responded to your private message.

Thank you