Community Forum

Unable to stream to Twitch.tv

New Poster

Unable to stream to Twitch.tv

For the past two or three months, my upload speed to the Twitch servers has been abysmal. I have Blast Internet, which offers 10Mbps speed; however, I am not able to get even 5Mbps when streaming. I am dropping 50-60% of my frames, and Twitch Inspector constantly shows an "unstable" connection. I have tried Twitch Tester, and most United States sites show an upload speed of 1-3 Mbps depending on the location. I have gone to testmy.net and shown an upload speed of 2.1 Mbps. However, the "official" speed test (through Xfinity) is showing that I have 10Mbps.

I am hard wired directly into my modem, and my modem is a brand new (as of yesterday) Netgear CM1000. I have had two technicians come to my location and shown no issues with the signal: my signal is perfect.

This leads me to believe that Xfinity is throttling my real time communications, along with the fact that when using Discord, other users often complain that I suffer from dropped packets (cutting out; "robot voice") there as well.

Twitch is the #1 streaming company in the United States. This problem has persisted for months. Why am I not getting what I am paying for?

Expert

Re: Unable to stream to Twitch.tv

@ghostdunk wrote:

For the past two or three months, my upload speed to the Twitch servers has been abysmal. I have Blast Internet, which offers 10Mbps speed; however, I am not able to get even 5Mbps when streaming. I am dropping 50-60% of my frames, and Twitch Inspector constantly shows an "unstable" connection. I have tried Twitch Tester, and most United States sites show an upload speed of 1-3 Mbps depending on the location. I have gone to testmy.net and shown an upload speed of 2.1 Mbps. However, the "official" speed test (through Xfinity) is showing that I have 10Mbps.

I am hard wired directly into my modem, and my modem is a brand new (as of yesterday) Netgear CM1000. I have had two technicians come to my location and shown no issues with the signal: my signal is perfect.

This leads me to believe that Xfinity is throttling my real time communications, along with the fact that when using Discord, other users often complain that I suffer from dropped packets (cutting out; "robot voice") there as well.

Twitch is the #1 streaming company in the United States. This problem has persisted for months. Why am I not getting what I am paying for?

While it's tempting to believe the worst out of Comcast,  one thing they do NOT do is throttle your internet speeds. Please go over this post and come back with the information requested so we can check out what's going on at your end. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have already followed those instructions to the lettertwice, when technicians were in my home. Power levels are "perfect" according to two Xfinity employees.

Regardless of the reason, I am not getting the speed I am paying for, and intentional or not, my connection is not reaching its potential. Call it what you will, but I want a resolution.

New Poster

An update: an "advanced technician" showed up, and has noticed some noise in one of the upstream channels that doesn't show when just looking at the power or S/N numbers on the modem. His theory is that someone plugged the wrong modem into the system, which can apparently disrupt the signal in the entire block.

They're sending a maintenance crew out soon.

Update two: The problem has been fixed. Comcast called today to say that the maintenance was completed and I am no longer getting any packet drops.

This was disgusting. I had to deal with two separate technicians before the third would listen to the fact that I had a problem, and ultimately it turned out to be maintenance done near my area.