Community Forum

Unable to join “my own wifi” incorrect password (but it’s correct)

New Poster

Unable to join “my own wifi” incorrect password (but it’s correct)

This has happened several times and more frequently to every device on my home network. Devices remember known networks and I’m pretty sure the members of my home have joined it before but out of the blue I see my Verizon signal. Wifi drops in and out as it sees fit and on occasion will tell me I have entered the incorrect password for my own wifi network. From a security perspective this is incredibly worrisome but from just a user perspective it’s outrageous. I’ve noticed (and can’t prove but boy it’d be nice if someone could) that when 3 or more smartphones are connected as well as laptop and a PlayStation inevitably the oldest (iphone5) slowest device on network is unable to join. But it happens to my newest iPhone as well. Then Comcast tells me that my router isn’t working right something about a loss of upstream something. Garbage. For what we pay this is just wrong. The only solution according to tech support is for me to pay to have a new router shipped or pay for a technician or swap out my router. I get charged every month for equipment that doesn’t work properly which is downright wrong and then I have to pay or take time out of my day to visit an xfinity store to swap out. This has happened to others on this forum. What do you ship your “low usage” data customers specialty routers that slow or stop connectivity when more than 4 devices are online. If I get issued a new router how will I know that this won’t happen again? Oh and the audio keeps intermittently cutting in and out on all of my hd tvs and boxes - is this at all related? Just swapped out my set top boxes for brand new ones and the audio issue just got worse. Sorry there isn’t a forum or category for Frustrated paying customer with spotty Internet and TV service not to mention my home phone gets spammed every day even though I’m on the do not call list. Oh boy let’s hope for some positive answers and solutions! Would I be better off buying my own router? Internet is so slow on the opposite side of house from router (this never used to be an issue until we were forced to switch out to a new router).
Expert

Re: Unable to join “my own wifi” incorrect password (but it’s correct)

You seem to be suffering unnecessarily here. Equipment does fail, there isn't anything you can do to prevent that. So the options are to swap out the device yourself or have Comcast do it. If your device is leased from Comcast and it fails, they will swap it w/o charge. 

Without more info we can't really tell if it's a failed device or if there is some other underlying issue. Perhaps since your TV service is acting up too, you should just get a tech out there and get everything fixed properly? You don't need to put up with substandard service. If there is a wiring issue in your home, they may bill you for the service call, if it's all Comcast issues, you will not be billed. 

Tip: If you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Jamai, if there is an issue with your modem, we can swap it out for you without a tech visit. You can either swap it out at a service Center or I can mail you a replacement. Have you tried factory resetting your device to see if that improves anything? 

If there is a signal issue, then it would affect your actual service and not so much your ability to connect with a particular password. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I know this was months ago, but in the interest of helping somebody else, I’m going to answer. This has happened to me more than once as well. Somebody told me to unplug my router, wait a few minutes and plug it back in. This has worked all three times. Hopefully it will work for others, too.
Expert

Closing 5 month old thread

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.