Community Forum

Unable to connect new modem

Highlighted
New Poster

Unable to connect new modem

Hello,

I just got off the phone with tech support and am furious. I currently have two cable modems in my house, one xfinity modem in my home office and a motorola modem in our entertainment room for streaming, and wired interaction between some hardware. I was trying to replace my old motorola cable modem with anew MB8600, and could not get it to work, so called for help. I thought it just needed to be activated. The tech told me that no, it was because there was a new Xfinity policy that you could not have more than one modem in your house. when did this happen? I have made several hardware choices over the years based on the availablity f the two access points, and now, poof, it is gone. To my knowledge, I was not notified of this chang, nr offered any alternative. It is not as if they do not support the MB8600.  The tech said th change was made because of the dfficulty providing tech support on multiple modems, which made no sense to me. I feel as if they changed the rules without telling me. Also, I pay for the service, so shouldn't I be able to have as many "faucets" as I want? I was even charged extra for the access point!  I asked the tech who I could complain to, and they said to visit this forum, which made me more angry. No one to talk to, no recourse. Can someone please help? If this is not sorted out, goodbye Comcast.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Unable to connect new modem

Are you talking about routers and not modems? It's correct that you should only have a single modem. You can have as many access points as you like off of that modem. 

What exact equipment do you currently have?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, cable modems. Access point was the wrong term. I have had two functioning modems (one xfinity owned modem/router, one motorola modem owned by me) in the house for years, until now.

Highlighted
Expert

@michaelculp5 wrote:

The tech told me that no, it was because there was a new Xfinity policy that you could not have more than one modem in your house. when did this happen? 

FWIW, it's actually been that way for quite some time now.

Even if they did allow it, you will need to pay for two accounts (twice what you are paying for HSI now). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!