Community Forum

UDP Traffic

New Poster

UDP Traffic

It is unfortunate that Comcast will not admit that they are restricting UDP traffic, which inhibits streaming services. While I appreciate that the error correction done by TCP, and ignored by UDP seems more desireable.... I do not appreciate having my options limited without my permission.

Not only did Comcast restrict UDP, I can tell you when they did it.... probably a year ago for no reason that I am aware of Comcast sent me a new modem. Since installing the new modem I have not seen any udp traffic. And I am 100% certain before that the majority of my network traffic was udp.

I am not an engineer, but I do monitor my network traffic.

Before this revelation I applauded Comcast's business model. Now I feel that you are just as shady as Verizon. Unfortunately, my building is either one or the other. So I have to decide whether this is worth relocating. 

No reply necessary.... you do block udp traffic.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: UDP Traffic

@wmdjackson wrote:

It is unfortunate that Comcast will not admit that they are restricting UDP traffic, which inhibits streaming services. While I appreciate that the error correction done by TCP, and ignored by UDP seems more desireable.... I do not appreciate having my options limited without my permission.

Not only did Comcast restrict UDP, I can tell you when they did it.... probably a year ago for no reason that I am aware of Comcast sent me a new modem. Since installing the new modem I have not seen any udp traffic. And I am 100% certain before that the majority of my network traffic was udp.

I am not an engineer, but I do monitor my network traffic.

Before this revelation I applauded Comcast's business model. Now I feel that you are just as shady as Verizon. Unfortunately, my building is either one or the other. So I have to decide whether this is worth relocating. 

No reply necessary.... you do block udp traffic.

Can you give us an example?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: UDP Traffic

I am experiencing the same issue on ports 5160 and 5061 for all UDP traffic. Confirmed by my network engineer and double checked via this tool https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php

Its a big issue for me and I need them to be unblocked as the busienss VoIP phone is completely useless without this. I just switched from AT&T who were NOT blocking the port and it should have been a simple transition but instead its been a nightmare.

Comcast / Xfinity put you through the mill talking to technicians who are basically trying to use the GUI and other tools but its being blocked much higher up the chain and they have conveniently not documented any of this...