Community Forum

Two modems, quite different. Not sure what to do?!

Frequent Visitor

Two modems, quite different. Not sure what to do?!

I have a little used (bought it for granny and her home health aids, who hardly ever used it) Motorola SURFboard Extreme Cable Modem SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0 8x4). I think I paid $60-80 for it.
I also have a new NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem with Voice CM1150V (DOCSIS 3.1, 32x8) that I got for $200. Impulse purchase on sale.
My new xfinity service is the slowest I could get. I think 60Mbps. So the SB6141 should be fine. But…
I need a land line. What do I do; keep the CM1150V?

or, find a DOCSIS 3.0 with voice?

or keep the SB6141 and find some kind of seperate VOIP service (a PITA IMO and might end up costing more month to month to match xfinity)?
Another option is to keep paying Fios more money each month. They refuse to down grade me to just voice and broadband and keep me trapped in a cable channel package I don't really use or want anymore.

Expert

Re: Two modems, quite different. Not sure what to do?!

Just keep and use the CM1150V. It’s new and D3.1, so you have to room to upgrade the plan on the spot, if you choose to. It helps in terms of channels since you go from 8 max to 32 + 1 max. It only really makes a difference when channels take a hit for some reason and fail. With a modem like that, a few channels failing, wouldn’t be noticed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Just keep and use the CM1150V. It’s new and D3.1, so you have to room to upgrade the plan on the spot, if you choose to. It helps in terms of channels since you go from 8 max to 32 + 1 max. It only really makes a difference when channels take a hit for some reason and fail. With a modem like that, a few channels failing, wouldn’t be noticed.

Forgot to mention, single user, non gaming household. Upgrade? Probably never. (75% likely move in 9-24 months to most likely a non Comcast area too.)

Channels: I want a new Lear jet to travel by air but a 1962 single prop plane is fine and costs a hellofa lot less. Is the cost to need of the CM1150v worth it?

I am in a pretty sleepy suburban home area. Any “hit” would be a hurricane or blizzard and the whole line would be down…

The wrench in all of it is my need for land line. I am still mad there isn’t a seperate box for this. There used to be!

Oh, I only need one land line too.

Expert

You already bought the 1150 which is compatible with internet and voice plans on Comcast.

Unless if you plan to try to return it and get your money back to buy a D3.0 modem with voice. There aren’t any modems through Comcast that do, just voice only. They all have the internet portion to them plus voice capabilities.

The only problem is with the voice bundle, if they don’t see a voice modem on the account, they will take away the package deal.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am thinking the Netgear CM500V or Arris Surfboard SBV3202 + battery are the only other options! They are, I think, more compatable with other companies (if I move to an area that uses cable for broad band) and, I recover the cost faster: about 11 months with the Netgear and 12 with the Arris.  I'd need to get a battery back up for the Netgear but, I have one I can reporpose. Might need a new battery but, I think they cost about $12 and, needed it anyway for other devices in same area (routers mostly).
Which one?

Official Employee

Hi there, tsakmok. It's utimately going to be your choice. I just  want to make sure that you're using this link: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo to determine compatibility. We are not showing the SBV3201 certified on retail. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Comcast_Support wrote:

Hi there, tsakmok. It's utimately going to be your choice. I just  want to make sure that you're using this link: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo to determine compatibility. We are not showing the SBV3201 certified on retail. 

Hmmm, you might check again. I am seeing it IS accepted. https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sbv3202-698

It also shows up on a pinned post on this forum (bottom of list) https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/m-p/3109887

Official Employee

Your post shows, "I am thinking the Netgear CM500V or Arris Surfboard SBV3201." You are correct that the ARRIS SBV3202 is certified and accepted by us on the retail side. Let  us know what other questions you have. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

One digit typo but, there is no 01 anyway

@Comcast_Support wrote:

Your post shows, "I am thinking the Netgear CM500V or Arris Surfboard SBV3201." You are correct that the ARRIS SBV3202 is certified and accepted by us on the retail side. Let  us know what other questions you have. 

New Poster

Issue now is with the recent speed upgrades Xfinity gave us.   I have the SB6141 modem also which is rated for a top speed of 343 Mbps.  They upgraded me to 200 Mbps for free but they don't support any 3.0 modems.  The cost for any Docsis 3.1 modem is $125 or more.  Are they trying to force us to rent their modems again?   If my modem supports the speed I have why would I need to upgrade? 

Diamond Problem Solver

There’s a big difference between what the manufacturer says what the modem is rated for and where Comcast places it in their device list. It’s always been that way. Ultimately, it’s your choice to upgrade your equipment or not to take advantage of any speed increase. Plenty of Docsis 3.0 modems are supported
https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@Sparty1966 wrote:

I have the SB6141 modem also which is rated for a top speed of 343 Mbps.  They upgraded me to 200 Mbps for free but they don't support any 3.0 modems.  The cost for any Docsis 3.1 modem is $125 or more.  ? 

According to this, the 6141 is still supported and can do up to 284 down;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6141-336

You don't need a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem for 200. Only for gigabit (1000).