Community Forum

Two modems one account

New Poster

Two modems one account

I own a separate ARRIS cable modem that is completely compatible with my current Comcast setup. I have trouble connecting to the network at the other end of the house and have tried every type of extender and repeater out there...including the xfi pods. Nothing works. So...is it possible to hook up a second modem, using a different internal IP address? Will it work with the standard Comcast wireless ARRIS cable modem? Is there an additional charge for doing this?

Expert

Re: Two modems one account

@rozde wrote:

I own a separate ARRIS cable modem that is completely compatible with my current Comcast setup. I have trouble connecting to the network at the other end of the house and have tried every type of extender and repeater out there...including the xfi pods. Nothing works. So...is it possible to hook up a second modem, using a different internal IP address? Will it work with the standard Comcast wireless ARRIS cable modem? Is there an additional charge for doing this?

Have you tried MoCA? A second modem would not be given an internal IP Address only a second public WAN IP Address and will not communicate with your main modem. Most areas do not allow this by policy it’s if you’re in area that does allow it, you’ll have to pay for another internet subscription at full price.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

No, I'm not familiar with MoCA. Sounds like a plan. Should I purchase a specific TiVo box for this to work with the existing coax cable in the house?

Expert

Personally for MoCA, I would buy equipment from Actiontec. Is your primary modem a plain cable modem with a router or a Comcast supplied gateway? Which model Arris is it? Are you looking to extend wireless coverage or just add a wired access point?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have a Comcast wireless cable modem router. I've been reading up on MoCA and TiVo and it sounds like the way to go. I just don't understand how to go from the TiVo box to the coax connection if I'm using the coax connection to power the cable modem which give me the high speed internet connection that the TiVo box requires. Can I throw in a splitter and go back in where when I came out?

I need to hook up my front bedroom/office and the wireless repeaters and extenders just don't work. It seems like MoCA would be excellent along with the TiVo boxes. Just need a little more help putting it all together.