Community Forum

Two Modems on 1 account?

New Poster

Two Modems on 1 account?

I have a house that is fully wired for tv with Xfinity. But we don't have "TV". We have cables in several rooms, that are not connected to anything. My teenage son is complaining wildly about the wifi speeds being inadequate for his Xbox. He brings his entire gaming set up downstairs, including his television, in order to get "better pings" through direct Ethernet connection. This is driving me completely crazy. I have wifi devices upstairs and they stream perfectly fine over wifi, but his xbox, since we switched over to Xfinity this year, is not meeting his "connection needs". Beyond finding all this completely ridiculous, I thought I could solve his complaining by just buying a second modem, connect one of the open and unused cables that are sitting around upstairs, and allowing him to connect his Xbox in his room via ethernet, so he'll stop driving me crazy. 

This child is trying to get me to buy a 100 foot ethernet cable so he can feed it through the living room, up the stairs, down the hall and across his room. 

I just Googled this question to find out if it were technologically possible, as it seemed it should be, only to be met with warnings of legality. Legality?!? Why?? Theft of service?! What??? This is MY internet. I'm paying for it fair and square. It's in my house, on MY cables, and it's PAID FOR. Why would Comcast consider a 2nd modem for direct ethernet connection to be Theft of Service?! I'm paying for it fairly! 

I certainly hope someone can clarify this for me, otherwise I may just be on the phone to Comcast to ask what this nonsense is all about. 

Expert

Re: Two Modems on 1 account?

An Ethernet cable is always the best way to connect an Xbox ! There is nothing "illegal" about it !

You may be able to improve the WiFi performance. 

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters. Since you already have coax cable wiring, MoCA adapters may be the next best option to an ethernet cable. You can Google them for more info. 

Many systems will not allow two cable modems to be used at one address. It's best to call in to see what the local policy is. Even if they do allow it, you will need to pay for two accounts (twice what you are paying for HSI now).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Two Modems on 1 account?

@Fara1776 wrote:

I have a house that is fully wired for tv with Xfinity. But we don't have "TV". We have cables in several rooms, that are not connected to anything. My teenage son is complaining wildly about the wifi speeds being inadequate for his Xbox. He brings his entire gaming set up downstairs, including his television, in order to get "better pings" through direct Ethernet connection. This is driving me completely crazy. I have wifi devices upstairs and they stream perfectly fine over wifi, but his xbox, since we switched over to Xfinity this year, is not meeting his "connection needs". Beyond finding all this completely ridiculous, I thought I could solve his complaining by just buying a second modem, connect one of the open and unused cables that are sitting around upstairs, and allowing him to connect his Xbox in his room via ethernet, so he'll stop driving me crazy. 

This child is trying to get me to buy a 100 foot ethernet cable so he can feed it through the living room, up the stairs, down the hall and across his room. 

I just Googled this question to find out if it were technologically possible, as it seemed it should be, only to be met with warnings of legality. Legality?!? Why?? Theft of service?! What??? This is MY internet. I'm paying for it fair and square. It's in my house, on MY cables, and it's PAID FOR. Why would Comcast consider a 2nd modem for direct ethernet connection to be Theft of Service?! I'm paying for it fairly! 

I certainly hope someone can clarify this for me, otherwise I may just be on the phone to Comcast to ask what this nonsense is all about. 

Well, I'm glad you posed your question here. The Comcast Official Support forum has a lot of very knowledgeable people as well as official employees to answer your questions authoritatively. The internet, while a great source of information, can also be a great source of misinformation. 

As a (54 year old) XBox One user myself, your son is justified in wanting a faster ping (which basically means how much delay is in the connection to the game server), because in some games, even a slight delay in the connection can delay your reaction time, which can make the difference between winning and losing. This isn't so important for most other internet use applications, like browsing or video streaming. Wired connections are the best for gaming. WiFi can be used, but a poor connection will affect connection speeds. 

As far as connecting a second cable modem, be aware that you're paying for one internet connection right now, and if you want a second modem, just like if you attach a second cable box, you're going to incur additional charges, This isn't unreasonable.

It's also highly unlikely that you'll be flagged for theft of service. For one thing, you'd have to activate the second modem online, or by calling in, and you'll be required to sign an agreement to change your billing in addition to the service....  assuming it's allowed in your local area to activate a second modem.  Not to mention you'll be paying double what you're paying now. 

So basically you're better off extending your current internet service to your son's XBox. @EG has some excellent suggestions for getting a direct wired connection if ethernet isn't possible. Feel free to come back if you have any questions. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!