Community Forum

Turn off wifi (xfinity hotspot) when Arris TG862G/CT is in bridge mode

New Poster

Turn off wifi (xfinity hotspot) when Arris TG862G/CT is in bridge mode

Long story about what may be old news, but please help.  To summarize:

Xfinity internet and phone service using Arris TG862G/CT gateway

About 3 years ago, bought my own TG862G/CT gateway at BestBuy

Have used gateway wireless internet and phone service from xfinity successfully since then

Just bought Orbi mesh wifi system for house, changed gateway to bridge mode, no problem

HOWEVER, now it bugs the heck out of me to see the xfinity hotspot in my house.

Although my xfinity online preference has always been set to “disable” the hotspot, I knew my gateway was still broadcasting it.  For whatever reason I did not worry much about it before I installed my own Orbi wireless router, but now I want it gone!

Wouldn’t you think that with the TG862 modem set in “bridge”, wifi from that box would be turned off?  Nope.  Just go to the 10.0.0.1 “Gateway at a Glance” page and you will see that you have “internet” and “wireless”.  Also, using a program called inSSIDer on my computer, I can see the xfinity being broadcast in a time graph.  When I unplug the modem, xfinity goes away.  Plug it in, comes back on.  So I am SURE my box is transmitting the xfinity hotspot.

I have spent hours and hours in chats and phone calls with xfinity and they assure me that the modem (verified with the correct MAC address) has the hotspot disabled.  They keep saying I must be picking up the signal from a tower or neighbor.  When they got tired of me telling them about unplugging the modem they finally said it must be a problem with the box and since I owned it, I would need to take that up with Arris directly.  To remove that excuse, I did chat with Arris who were initially quite helpful but in the end they were not going to have anything to do with disabling a feature that did not belong to them.  Of course this is exactly what I expected.

I went back to xfinity today, calling what I was told was “Advanced Technical Support”.  The tech I talked to tried to help (of course initially blaming it on the hotspot signals that must be coming from somewhere else), but in the end said she needed to take it up a level to a supervisor and would call me back.  That was eight hours ago.

So, either xfinity does not want to disable their hotspot on MY modem, or they do not have a clue.  Hopefully someone here does.  Sorry for the rant.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Turn off wifi (xfinity hotspot) when Arris TG862G/CT is in bridge mode

@pfr wrote:

Long story about what may be old news, but please help.  To summarize:

Xfinity internet and phone service using Arris TG862G/CT gateway

About 3 years ago, bought my own TG862G/CT gateway at BestBuy

Have used gateway wireless internet and phone service from xfinity successfully since then

Just bought Orbi mesh wifi system for house, changed gateway to bridge mode, no problem

HOWEVER, now it bugs the heck out of me to see the xfinity hotspot in my house.

Although my xfinity online preference has always been set to “disable” the hotspot, I knew my gateway was still broadcasting it.  For whatever reason I did not worry much about it before I installed my own Orbi wireless router, but now I want it gone!

Wouldn’t you think that with the TG862 modem set in “bridge”, wifi from that box would be turned off?  Nope.  Just go to the 10.0.0.1 “Gateway at a Glance” page and you will see that you have “internet” and “wireless”.  Also, using a program called inSSIDer on my computer, I can see the xfinity being broadcast in a time graph.  When I unplug the modem, xfinity goes away.  Plug it in, comes back on.  So I am SURE my box is transmitting the xfinity hotspot.

I have spent hours and hours in chats and phone calls with xfinity and they assure me that the modem (verified with the correct MAC address) has the hotspot disabled.  They keep saying I must be picking up the signal from a tower or neighbor.  When they got tired of me telling them about unplugging the modem they finally said it must be a problem with the box and since I owned it, I would need to take that up with Arris directly.  To remove that excuse, I did chat with Arris who were initially quite helpful but in the end they were not going to have anything to do with disabling a feature that did not belong to them.  Of course this is exactly what I expected.

I went back to xfinity today, calling what I was told was “Advanced Technical Support”.  The tech I talked to tried to help (of course initially blaming it on the hotspot signals that must be coming from somewhere else), but in the end said she needed to take it up a level to a supervisor and would call me back.  That was eight hours ago.

So, either xfinity does not want to disable their hotspot on MY modem, or they do not have a clue.  Hopefully someone here does.  Sorry for the rant.

Mine is turned off.  Some people live close enough to their neighjpors to be able to pick up their xfinitywifi SSID hotspot.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

I don't know why the hotspot signal would be transmitted on a retail bought device as it's only enabled on the leased devices. Could've gotten an improper firmware download or it's outdated and can't be fixed. 

In any event, if you're willing to invest in a high end mesh system like an Orbi , then I'd recommend you replace the gateway with a modern, eMTA modem-only device so it doesn't broadcast any WiFi signals at all.  

Check out Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways  for recommended devices.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Some people live close enough to their neighjpors to be able to pick up their xfinitywifi SSID hotspot.

@RobertWy FWIW, they stated this; 

" When I unplug the modem, xfinity goes away.  Plug it in, comes back on.  So I am SURE my box is transmitting the xfinity hotspot."

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks, I will look into these.  Interestingly, my current device is TG862G/CT is listed in the approved devices.  Also, since I do phone as well as internet with xfinity, the modem will need that capability as well.