Community Forum

Troubleshooting Dropouts

New Poster

Troubleshooting Dropouts

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have Xfinity Cable Internet.

I have a Netgear CM600 modem, Pakedge RK-1 Router, Ubiquiti Wifi.

The dropouts occur on both wired and wireless connections so I can rule out the wifi.

I am trying to troubleshoot it.

I tried replacing the modem with a surfboard and that didn't fix it.

I attach a shot of the dashboard in the netgear modem.  Notice the errors.  Does this tell anyone anything about the nature of my problem, or does anyone have any troubleshooting advice for me?

Thanks

josh

Screenshot 2019-05-08 10.41.54.png

Expert

Re: Troubleshooting Dropouts

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the CM600 modem have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

New Poster

Regarding direct hookup...

yeah, that's the obvious test I haven't done. unfo my laptops (macbook air) have no ethernet port so I have procrastinated this as hauling the imac to the basement is a pain, but I should do it.

I guess one question is: are those errors on the log meaningful? conclusive? that the problem is in the xfinity network

other color:

Just last hour, trying to diagnose this, I saw the connection dropped -- and I was trying to access the control panel for the netgear modem.  that screen hung, for ten seconds (while the network showed down as well), then the network came back and the modem control screen popped up.  I am not sure conclusive but that seemed to hint that maybe the problem was in the modem or router (separate units) as, if the problem was in the coax to the street or xfinity's network, I would have thought accessing the modem control panel internally to my house would have worked...

OTOH, those "errors" listed seemed surprising to me so was wondering if that indicated it was between the modem and the cable network...

Expert

You have a large amount of uncorrectable errors on the first 16 downstream channels ! There may be some noise ingress leaking into the line(s) somewhere. It may be best for you to get a tech out to investigate / correct this one. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Well... I may have fixed it.  Embarassingly, but I offer this for future people who stumble on the thread.

Only things that may have helped:

Updated firmware on the Router

Traced the coax from my rack to the drop on the side of the house, jiggled wires and finger tightened the two junctions I found.  (no splitters found).

Cleared the Modem status page and after several days, we see a lowish number of correctible errors and now zero uncorrectables

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6n88kz75u4ze3v/Screenshot%202019-05-13%2011.35.39.png?dl=0

Not definitive because dropouts tend to come and go, but connection seems much more stable:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5srjx55wnay0i7j/Screenshot%202019-05-13%2011.34.11.png?dl=0

So hopefully fixed by the most obvious solutions.

Thanks for the free tips and assistance.  It's much appreciated.

Josh

Expert

Hope that things hold up for you ! Good luck !