Community Forum

Troubleshooting Arris SB8200: "SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present"

New Poster

Troubleshooting Arris SB8200: "SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present"

I'm on Vashon Island, in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Just after 11 AM today I noticed my internet service was down. Power-cycled my SB8200, noticed that its lights come up all green (previously download light would go blue). Still no internet.

Self-service troubleshooter says everything's fine, except that it can't talk to my modem. Trying to reboot my modem via the troubleshooter reports success, but nothing changes (and my modem does not restart).

Called Xfinity support, was told that since everything looks fine on their end and my modem is not their equipment, it's Not Their Problem.

Connected to the modem's Event Log, noticed a "docsDevResetNow" event at 11:10 AM (i.e. right when my service stopped working). Did a factory reset on the modem; again, every light comes up green, but no internet service. Event log now shows:

"SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;..."

"Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6"

"SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb8200_blastpro_c01.cm"

"MDD message timeout;..."

"SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present"

I've gone through this process (sometimes power-cycling, sometimes factory resetting) 5 or more times this afternoon, always with the same results.

New Poster

Re: Troubleshooting Arris SB8200: "SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present"

There is a huge issue with comcast that is affecting 3.1 modems. They did some hardware change and jacked everything up. I called Motorola tonight and found this out. If you own a 3.1 modem then that is why
Contributor

Re: Troubleshooting Arris SB8200: "SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present"

It sounds like it get be provisioned, yousaid you used a paperclip and hard reset your device right? Hmm, and you tried calling them to manually provision the modem right? Maybe there is something on your line, try taking the modem to a friends house, within the comcast network and see if they provison it, will it take (note your modem will work anywhere Xfinity sertvice exsists in an area up to a certain point).

Expert

@zerogray30 wrote:
They did some hardware change and jacked everything up.

Hmmmm. Do you mean a *software* / firmware change ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@beegeevee wrote:

I've gone through this process (sometimes power-cycling, sometimes factory resetting) 5 or more times this afternoon, always with the same results. 

When you did these factory resets, did you hold the reset button on the rear in for at least 30 seconds ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!