Community Forum

Transferring from AT&T to Xfinity Internet

New Poster

Transferring from AT&T to Xfinity Internet

I have ordered internet service from Xfinity to be installed (I have an appointment) at my home in a few days. I have an approved cable modem that the installers will be using. I currently have AT&T internet service with Uverse TV right now that runs through the DSL modem. There is NO connection whatsoever to any coaxial cable. My TV receives its signals strictly through Wi-Fi.

My situation is this. I connected my cable modem to an open /available coaxial cable (in the distribution hub of my home) and connected my laptop to the modem.  I wanted to activate my Xfinity cable modem and see if I could start my new internet service online.  To my surprise, I was able to get on the internet. I tried to activate the cable modem. However, I received a message online saying I had to call a telephone number to turn on the line. I didn’t go any further because I was afraid of messing things up.

I am a little confused with this because my internet connection is through the DSL modem that is fed from a telephone line and there is no connection to any coaxial cable(s) in the house. Therefore, I should not get any internet connection from the coaxial side?

My question is… Do I need to cancel my AT&T internet service BEFORE I start my Xfinity internet service? Or can the service people hook up my internet service first?  And once that is done, then I can cancel my AT&T service afterwards?

Alternatively: Should I completely disconnect my DSL modem, hook up the cable modem to the available coaxial line and try to activate the line by calling Xfinity to activate the service?

Expert

Re: Transferring from AT&T to Xfinity Internet

porkydad wrote:

My question is… Do I need to cancel my AT&T internet service BEFORE I start my Xfinity internet service?

No. It's not necessary. One system cannot affect the other.

Or can the service people hook up my internet service first?

And once that is done, then I can cancel my AT&T service afterwards?

Yes.

Alternatively: Should I completely disconnect my DSL modem, hook up the cable modem to the available coaxial line and try to activate the line by calling Xfinity to activate the service?

Not necessary. Just call Comcast as they requested.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thank you for your response. It has pointed me to the right direction.

Expert

Quite welcome !

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

didn't know AT&T had Internet. just phone coverage
RLS
Expert

Marked "solved" thread now being closed.