Community Forum

To use Xfi PODS or MoCA...or either?

New Poster

To use Xfi PODS or MoCA...or either?

I recently had Xfinity installed in my home. We received a Technicolor CGM4140COM Wireless Gateway with (2) Wifi TV boxes and (2) Coax TV Boxes. I have the "Blast" service with advertised 250Mb/s speeds. Every PC and console with the exception of one uses wifi...the only one hardwired with an ethernet cable to the WG is in the room with it. The current arrangement works...ok...I guess. I can get around 225mb/s speed for the hardwired (ethernet) connected PC. In that same room I can get in the neighborhood of 150Mb/s wifi connection on my Iphone. The signal degrades pretty dramatically from there though. The furthest room from mine in the house is getting <50Mb/s wifi connection speeds and he wants to play games on his PS4 and PC.

So...should I get these fancy new PODS everyone is going on about? Should I use my homes already existing COAX network and make use of MoCA adapters? I see them both being north of $100 solutions. Is there another option other than MoCA and PODS?

Secondary question: If you are not using MoCA, should you turn the function off on your WG? I have tried numerous times and the 'disable' button, while actionable (not greyed out), does not actually turn it off. I get a messae about 'waiting for backend execution, etc' when I hit 'disable' but it just turns right back on....

Thanks in advance for any insight into this matter!!

Official Employee

Re: To use Xfi PODS or MoCA...or either?

The pods only extend the network, not increase speeds.
Don’t try to turn off the moca, that’s how your wireless boxes are working. Main box uses moca to talk to the gateway, gateway then communicates with the wireless boxes.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for your response! When you say the PODS only extend the range of the network....not increase speed...I understand but it creates an obvious question (to me). Wouldn't the devices hovering on the edge of the wifi network and operating at low Mb/s speeds not get increased speed from a signal boost?

For example: Devices closer to my WG get faster speeds. 

Isn't that the point of the PODS? Why would you only extend range but NOT speeds? Am I missing something?

I know the PODS will not increase the speeds of devices already in the 'sweet spot' ...within range etc....but I am looking for a solution for devices at the edges of the WG's range.

Thanks for the tip on the MoCA!! I am still a bit confused, though.... as I thought MoCA was simply making use of your houses already existing COAX and using that instead of wifi, as many houses already have COAX cable drops installed in each room. I did not realise MoCA could BE utilized wirelessly.

Thanks again!

Official Employee

Moca is still using coax for the main box and gateway to communicate, the gateway then uses Wi-Fi to communicate with the wireless boxes

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Pods aren’t a boost, they’re an extension, speeds drop as your network is extended. They also have an Ethernet port available for a gaming system (or whatever) to be hardwired in instead of using Wi-Fi

New Poster

Is there any advantage to using moca vs pods?  Is MOCA faster?