Community Forum

This device is paused. Access to the Internet and the Comcast network on this device has been paused

New Poster

This device is paused. Access to the Internet and the Comcast network on this device has been paused

This device is paused.

Access to the Internet and the Comcast network on this device has been paused.

To resume access, visit internet.xfinity.com using a different connection or device.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: This device is paused. Access to the Internet and the Comcast network on this device has been pa

New Poster

Re: This device is paused. Access to the Internet and the Comcast network on this device has been pa

No

Contributor

Is this from not paying your bill?
New Poster

I'm having the same issue with a new iPad, model A1822, purchased on May 11, 2017 (10 days ago).  It worked fine until yesterday (May 20th), then I began getting the "This device is paused." message.  

All the other devices on the system, another older iPad, two iPhones, a Toshiba laptop (hardwired), and a Dell desktop (hardwired) work just fine.  

I spent a half hour on the phone yesterday with an agent without success; reset settings, Paused and Unpaused the device), a hard reset of the modem.  The agent connected me with a wifi service tech, but unfortunately the call was dropped and he did not call back.  

The iPad indicates that it is connected to the wi-fi network, the device shows up as being connected on the xfinityfi, and it shows up as being connected on the router when entering using my browser.  The MAC address on the iPad is the same as on the xfinityfi and router settings.

I spoke with another agent today.  When we swapped out my normal wi-fi wireless connection(s) (both 2.4 and 5 ghz) to the xfinitywifi hotspot, I am able to connect to the Internet without a problem.  However, when swapping back to the normal connection(s), I get the "paused" message.  Clearly, it will not connect using the connection settings and security for the wi-fi side of the Arris TG1682G modem/router.  

The agent indicated that she had found this problem to exist for several iPad in the information she accessed, but didn't list the source of that information.  She concluded that it was an Apple problem as the iPad will connect with the xfinitywifi hotspot in my area.  

I guess I'm not convinced that it is an "Apple problem" after thinking about it for awhile.  It seems to be more related to the Arris modem/router or device settings on either the iPad or the Arris as the iPad works on the hotspot.

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem would be appreciated as I don't like to continue using the public "xfinitywifi" hotspot rather than the encription built into the Arris modem/router.

New Poster

Any resolution found? I'm on my 5th xfinity tech person and no joy. I have not been able to use my iphone with my home wifi network THAT I PAY FOR...um, yeah, super annoying that I'm spending this amount of time for xfinity new digital infrastructure that I was NOT given notice of but I am now being forced to use by xfinity. Basically, my iphone is stuck on pause. All 'settings' show everything is working fine, my network, my internet, and the actual device is discovered and shown as working...but it doesn't work - no access to my home wifi network. 

note to xfinity. If you're going to show a 'This device is paused' make the obvious areas clickable; for ex., internet.xfinity.com.

I'm including a screenshot of my iphone

IMG_4124.PNG
Silver Problem Solver

That looks a lot like the pause on the xFi interface.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

4amanda wrote:

Any resolution found? I'm on my 5th xfinity tech person and no joy. I have not been able to use my iphone with my home wifi network THAT I PAY FOR...um, yeah, super annoying that I'm spending this amount of time for xfinity new digital infrastructure that I was NOT given notice of but I am now being forced to use by xfinity. Basically, my iphone is stuck on pause. All 'settings' show everything is working fine, my network, my internet, and the actual device is discovered and shown as working...but it doesn't work - no access to my home wifi network. 

note to xfinity. If you're going to show a 'This device is paused' make the obvious areas clickable; for ex., internet.xfinity.com.

I'm including a screenshot of my iphone

Here's something you can try. Download the xfinity xFi app if you haven't already and sign in to it from a different device. Check on the devices list for the name of the device paused. If it says your device is not paused the pause it and wait about 5 minutes and then unpause it and wait about 5 mins from that. If it still doesn't unpause, try completely clearing your history on iOS and restart your gateway in case if it isn't picking up the signal telling it to unblock that device. 

New Poster

Thanks. I tried but it didn't work.

Between the 7 times I chat/called tech support we tried everything. However, the issue was fixed today. It was an external line issue. All 'carrier' lines were green except one. Once the technician tightened that one carrier line I can now access my home wifi network from my iphone. This coincident of rolling out the new xFi 'service' and my iphone unable to connect with my internet feels too convenient. I also found out that the xFi service is it's testing stage.

So in all, it took 3 weeks to correct this issue; many hours of frustration, many tech support calls telling me it's my problem, my device to finally getting the issue escalated to the 3rd level tech dept to final get this issue resolved. In order to get my trouble ticket escalated, I was pulling no punches, interrupting and very firm in my explanations of the issue(s). Maybe being tough on the techs helped escalate - I don't know and I would not wish it on anyone. Why I needed to push so hard to get this corrected is an xifinity problem. Which became my problem as an xfinity customer. For the record, I SOOO DISLIKE this new xFi bs. Xfinity reps also told me multiple times throughout this fiasco that I they were giving me a credit for the the inconveniences. I found out that no such credit(s) were made to my account and no notes to credit my account. Good grief. Another xfinity bad practice, making a promise and not keep it.

New Poster

Update:

The issue is back.  While the technician was here we tested it and I was able to get email and pull up a webpage from my iphone. Within a half hour, after the technician, the problem reappeared. Sigh.

New Poster

The Comcast Advanced Wireless Tech (Karla) was able to resolve the problem with my iPad today.  

The problem seemed to be that the iPad was "blocked" at the server and unblocking it was not being picked up by the modem/wireless router.  

The solution was to do a "factory reset" of the modem/wireless router using the reset button at the top rear of the modem/wireless router.  Karla then reset the modem from her side, sending the necessary commands.  

It is back up and working now.

Thanks to Karla.  

New Poster

This message apeared on my WIRED connection.  PITA. 

I downloaded the xFI app. 

View All Devices.

Click on the device

Paused the device.  

Un-Paused the device. 

Back online. 

No explaination of how it got "paused" ... 

New Poster

managed devices moved to cloud

Cant fix paused device because Im told this managed devices moved to cloud

New Poster

Ive done that and was not allowed to accesss because it said managed devices on cloud

New Poster

So, after reading through the this message strand I am finding myself having a similar problem.  I have some devices that I had previously blocked using the old admin tool and now cannot unpause them with the new Xfinity xFi system.  I keep getting an error saying that "we are having problems" and to try again later.  I have been trying this for the past week and still not able to fix it.  Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

Here is one suggestion:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/manage-wifi-devices-wifi-portal/?currentTopicId=e7ed259e-f9...

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I just went through the pain of "paused devices" because I had some devices that were blocked on the Gateway and when Comcast switch to cloud the ability to un-block was lost.

I spent several hours trying to pause/unpause and remove devices with no luck. What I had to do to regain control of those devices was to reset my gateway completely using the "restore factory settings" of the gateway (connect to 10.0.0.1).

All the "paused devices" regained access.

Hope that helps somebody else.

Regular Visitor

I had same problem, on all of my devices.  Technician came to house, he did same thing:  reset my gateway completely using the "restore factory settings" of the gateway (paperclip in "Reset" hole at rear/top of Gateway).  Then he put my SSID etc back to my original settings.  He had not seen this problem before, but was aware of the new "family control" features just available.

Thanks to all above, helped me understand what was going on.

New Poster

Is there any reason why a Comcast tech has to do the factory reset? If I do it myself, I know that any settings I changed will be gone including the admin password, wifi names and passwords, etc. I can reenter those settings.  Will a factory reset return it to the state it was when I received it from Comcast?  I’m concerned that a factory reset could wipe out something that would make it unusable.

New Poster

So this is definitely not limited to Apple products. I am only posting to let you know I am having the same exact problems with a Samsung tablet.

Support is terrible.

I hate to reset my gateway because i have it all programmed for remote access.

I really am disappointed in this.

Frequent Visitor

Just want to add to this thread as I had issues with a PC that was the exact same issue.  The PC, which was connected via an ethernet cable directly into the Comcast gateway was Paused even though the Xfi cloud settings did not reflect the pause.   

I  finally got a solution this morning by restoring the gateway back to factory settings.  It seems the issue was caused because the device was paused under my old modem parental controls when I switched to the new modem.  Even though I could not see that anywhere on the cloud, the settings somehow got moved over and I was not able to release the pause.  

We tried different cables, different browsers, clearing cache, ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew and none of this worked.  Props to the Xfinity rep that helped me this morning (the one last night was useless).  This morning the guy helped me for about an hour and it is now fixed. 

If anyone is considering making the switch to Xfi, before you even take your new modem out of the box, clear out any configuration settings you have in the old one with regard to managed services, managed sites and managed devices. I used managed devices on my old router to limit my son's time and the problem is that with an Xfi router you can no longer manage devices through the 10.0.0.1 portal and the Xfi cloud does not seem to pick these settings up completely or display them so you can change them.

Just posting this in the hope it may help someone who has a similar issue, or who may be able to avoid it by clearing out their custom settings before the transfer.

New Poster

I am currently having the same issue. 3 devices I previously paused I unpaused but the devices themselves are still showing being paused. On my xfinity wi fi ap they are showing unpaused. I saw you guys said push the factory reset and I did that but it still wont unpause the devices. What other step did the technician do while pushing the factory reset. Im trying to do this with out a technician but I guess I might have to call
New Poster

I had the same issue.  I released that I had blocked some strange computers from the options in my router.  I checked the banned list in my router 10.0.0.1 and for some reason my wife's computer was named George so I unbanned it and the problem went away.  

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

I have a laptop that paused and will no longer connect to the wi-fi network that the xfinity modem creates. How do I unpause this device and connect to my LAN?
New Poster

Solution for all these problems:

Get a cheap router with decent hardware, like a TP LINK Archer C9 or something else with two cores that supports dd-wrt. Flash dd-wrt onto the router. Set your comcast modem to act only as a modem/transparent bridge, and plug it into the WAN port of the router.

New Poster

We have been having the same issue. My husband works for Comcast and he couldn't figure it out. I called and got customer service with no help. My husband just exchange the modem for a new one and problem solved.
New Poster

How do you know what your user name and password is? I used my wifi info and that didn't work, I tried my xfinity login too but that did not work as well. Thanks
New Poster

i dont think its an apple problem at all the exact same thing happened to my samsung galaxy 7 edge and i can not get it unpaused after following the same steps

New Poster

I do not have apple products. I have a samsung j7. This is clearly exfinity. And my bill is paid. Tech support at exfinity had no solutions for me either.
New Poster

SOLVED:  I tried ALL the other suggestions (many of which were legitimate possibilities) before I bit the bullet and reset the router to its factory default (Troubleshooting > Reset / Restore Gateway). I saved it until last because of the extra trouble it always takes but mostly because it is the "poor man's solution."

Login to router interface: 10.0.0.1 with the username: admin  and password: password (if you haven't changed it; other default passwords are: Password, admin).  On the left hand side navigate to Troubleshooting and then Reset / Restore Gateway and click the Restore Factory Setting button...and follow the prompts.

Forget calling "Support" they do not know what is going on or how to fix it -- at least 3 of them didn't Smiley Sad

About my situation:  Months before I loaded the Xfi app for controlling "after hours" device usage for my kids.  After testing it out and setting up profiles I turned them off and left them off.  Then out of the blue a COMPLETELY different laptop device that had been working for the last 2 years (and even the day before the error started happening) started giving the "The device is paused" blue screen eventhough no configuration changes (or for that matter of a fact access) had been made.

Diamond Problem Solver

Cmcastisridic wrote:

Login to router interface: 10.0.0.1 with the username: admin  and password: password (if you haven't changed it; other default passwords are: Password, admin).  On the left hand side navigate to Troubleshooting and then Reset / Restore Gateway and click the Restore Factory Setting button...and follow the prompts. 

FWIW, you could also use the recessed reset button on the rear of the gateway device by holding it in for 30 seconds.

New Poster

Please help me to understand pause this.
Diamond Problem Solver

mm26-62 wrote:
Please help me to understand pause this.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi/

Pausing Devices

Pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to your home network. In-progress activity might not stop immediately. Access to local network devices (like printers) and connections that use cellular data or other WiFi networks won't be paused.

To pause an individual device simply select the device and then select Pause Device. You can either pause the device for a specific amount of time (for example, 30 minutes, one hour or two hours) or indefinitely until you choose to unpause the device.

When attempting to access the Internet on a paused device, the user will see the device's default message that the site cannot be reached or that it is not connected to the Internet.

Note: If you've previously set up a device block from your Gateway's Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1), you should see the device listed with a pause icon in xFi indicating WiFi access over your home network is already paused. Once you Pause/Unpause a device or access Bedtime Mode or Port Forwarding through xFi, you will no longer be able to access similar features (block, scheduled block or port forwarding) through the Gateway's Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1).

New Poster

I did a hard reset on the back of the box. I had to use a tiny pin to push the button through the tiny hole. It took about 10 mins to reload. Then I had to assign my wifi network name and password again. I chose the same info I already had and thr iphone6s finally connected again.
New Poster

Now I have one iPhone (and only one) that seems to be stuck in paused mode. I tried pausing / unpausing, forgetting the device with Xfi, re-starting the gateway with the device forgotten / disconnected .... still stuck in pause. I hate to reset my gateway to factory because I have a lot of devices setup in groups with bedtime rules and also some port-forwarding that I will have to re-create but it looks like my only option left ...

Frequent Visitor

Having this same issue and verify it is not only Apple related. I am using an LG Fuel on a tracfone network and having this same issue. Reset, pause, unpaused,etc. etc. etc. and still not able to unpause. Still searching for the answer and will not give up until found.

Official Employee

Hello Bradmph, have you tried the steps listed below or holding the reset button on the back of the modem for 30 seconds? If not please do so now and respond back with your results. 

Login to router interface: 10.0.0.1 with the usernameadmin  and passwordpassword (if you haven't changed it; other default passwords are: Password, admin).  On the left hand side navigate to Troubleshooting and then Reset / Restore Gateway and click the Restore Factory Setting button...and follow the prompts.

Regular Visitor

My lab top of paused  o can get on internet from my tablet what do I need good to get on internet on my lab top

Official Employee

Hi mackado, are you going online or through the app to unpause your device? Do you get an error message when you attempt to unpause your laptop? Are you only having issues with just your laptop? 

New Poster

If you have got message like - This device is paused.

You need check next:

1. Go to https://internet.xfinity.com/devices and check if your device on paused, just canceled this. If you see that your device is connected (green) and not on paused (but you still get the message on device) then step 2.

2. Go to to your Xfinity Router Default IP: http://10.0.0.1 . Default Username - admin, Password: password.

3. Then go to http://10.0.0.1/managed_devices.php (Parental Control > Managed Devices) and look if your device is blocked just click on 'X'.

That's it!